A pound a day?

Options
I've just gotten started at this, and I decided I would weigh in once a week, on the same night/around the same time of day. I lost 7 lbs in the first week! I expected about 1 lb, since I told MFP to set my goals at 1 lb/week.

The reaction to my weigh-in is pretty mixed. At first I was shocked, then worried I was losing too fast, then excited at starting with such a bang! My wife was a little jealous, then happy for me. Some friends just cheer me on, but others doubt the veracity of my claim (asking if I calibrated the scale properly).

Is it normal to dramatically lose so much in the beginning before you settle into a steady loss?

Replies

• lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of any diet you can lose a substantial amount of weight. I'm just back on plan after a few months off and this week I've lost close to 9 lbs!! I'm sure someone will explain why this is, but it's got a lot to do with water retention, etc.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Yes, this is completely normal. Most of what you lost is probably water weight, and soon you'll hit a steady 1-2 pounds per week loss. Good luck with your journey!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    yeppers especially in the start of any weight loss program...then every now and again u will have little surprises with 3+ pounds and so on....the 7lbs usually wont last per week after 3 weeks it will probably be more like 1-2
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is normal. During the first week, you lose a fair amount of water weight from cutting back on your sodium, eating healthier foods, etc. Some of that is fat, so don't feel disheartened! You should have another couple of weeks above the 1lb a week (depending on how clean your eating is) and then you'll settle into a nice steady weight loss!

Congrats -- 7 lbs is amazing! Even if it's water, it's nice to get it out of you!
  • FallonMCal
    Options
    I think for the first week that it is very likely to loose a lot more. Your weight loss will even out. Your second week may end up being a little less, so don't let that discourage you.
    Remember, your body is adjusting,
  • Kwosti
    Kwosti Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi and congratulations on your start!
    It is fairly normal to lose a lot of weight in your first week or two, but this is generally water weight. As soon as you start to eat healthily your body releases much of the water it has been storing, thus making you look like you're an absolute legend at losing weight!! If only it was always so easy....! You should stop dropping a dramatic amount fairly soon and get into the slog of 1 or 2 pounds per week.
    Good luck for your future weight loss!
    Rach
  • itsabeachlife4me
    Options
    Yes, it's absolutely normal to lose bigger amounts, the first several weeks on a new eating plan. You are losing water weight mostly which can most definitely account for some if not all of the 7lbs. You might have a decent size loss next week as well. You are also a man which works in your favor (I'm super bitter and jealous btw!) so just enjoy it and appreciate it. The main thing is not to expect that kind of weight loss every week. It's not necessarily that it's dangerous to lose that much weight it's just that it's been medically proven that if you lose more than 2lbs a week consistently you are probably losing muscle mass as well as fat. Keep the muscle mass - lose the fat! So just consider yourself ahead in your averaging and focus on an AVERAGE weight loss of 1-2lbs a week over a long period of time! Just remember this if you have a week when you lose nothing and remind yourself you are still right on track with the big picture! Way to go!!
  • sarahpittaway
    Options
    Yes! I did lose 20 Kilo in two months but find it hard to lose 2 Kg in a month now as I am close to my goal weight. Enjoy it till your body settles
  • Lexie28
    Lexie28 Posts: 219
    Options
    Yup...it's normal. Don't expect the dramatic weight loss to continue. It will even out sooner rather than later. :flowerforyou:
  • Rubyjjones
    Options
    I lost 4 lbs my first week...the second week only one lb. I think it is pretty normal to show a big weight loss on the first week. GREAT JOB!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    you mentioned you are weighing in at night. can i suggest also weighing in in the morning. at night you will also have the weight of undigested food in your system. so if you had had big meals on day 1, but only small meals on day 7, that would also contribute.

i think the best time is in the morning after the ritual poo.
  • youknome
    youknome Posts: 63
    Options
    Yes, it's extremely normal to lose a lot of weight the first week. I'm not currently dieting due to Ramadan, hence why I've put on few more pounds. But the first week I started my diet I lost 8lbs! I'm going to get back into my fitness routine in 2 weeks time.
  • gottatry4me
    Options
    Don't be worried, in my experience, men lose weight a lot faster than women. I would LOVE to worry about losing too much weight! I have stayed under my calories and excercised EVERY day and only lost 2 lbs. My husband watches me excercise and lost 5 lbs!!!!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If you have a fair bit to lose then it is incredibly normal to see a big loss in the first week (or even first few weeks!)