It was the coffee granules all along

Options
tracengel
tracengel Posts: 28 Member
edited August 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
So my goal right now is to gain a bit of weight or at least maintain, or at the very least figure out what my maintenance range is. I'm not actively trying to change anything, just watching what effect my current eating is having, so can figure out where to next.

According to what I've been logging and weighing, I should be in a teeny deficit still on most days and still losing, when in fact I think I'm now maintaining (last 6 weeks or so) barring the daily fluctuations which at my current weight sometimes make a big difference to knowing whether it's a real scale number or a fluctuation. The fact that the numbers have not been adding up to what's actually happening annoyed me, because I like my calculations to be right, or at least not obviously wrong. Thought it was a combo of errors on the calories in side, as well as maybe an overestimation on calories out. I wanted to figure it out.

Unnecessary? Silly? A bit obsessive? Yup. But it's a data game for me right now.

So I went back and looked at the one thing I have consistently every day which is instant coffee made at home with milk and no sugar. A "meal" I created myself and have been using since I started logging (but before I learned to be really strict about choosing database entries). However.

This time instead of using the existing database entry for the coffee powder, I created my own food using the label on the tin (not the barcode scanner). My cup of coffee went from something like 30 calories to 60 calories. Weighing out my huge heaped teaspoon of granules was NOT the same as what the entry said :)

At 5 to 8 cups a day (yes I know that's a lot sssh), I was basically wiping out any deficit there was. So I went back to change all the entries for a few weeks and bam. Now all my predicted calculations match the actuals (as close as you're gonna get, I imagine)

This longwinded missive was just to say that the things that seem the most unlikely can sometimes make a difference. If something's not working, look again at the things you think you've already figured out.

Replies

• tracengel
    tracengel Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Ouch! So for 8 cups that comes to about 250cals unaccounted for. Not very good news for you I imagine.

Eh - I don't mind. All data is good data I think. Now I've eliminated one source of confusion hopefully, let's see what else comes up. I'm sure there's more.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Ooh went on a search for the Ricoffy as I had never heard of it.

Here is the ingredient breakdown.
    Ingredients

Chicory (6 Parts), Dextrins (6 Parts), Coffee (5 Parts), Maltose (1 Part), Dextrose (1 Part)

Yup, that would have cals, instant coffee, no addatives doesn't.

I've found this very interesting. And will have to try some Ricoffy one day- never been to SA.

Cheers, h.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry @middlehaitch :disappointed:
    USDA #14214: 353 Cal per 100g
    It is the usual "trick" where a less than 2g "portion" comes to 5.4 Cal or less, ergo can be named 0 Cal.

But my mugs are large and my coffee is strong... so I use closer to 7g and 25 Cal per cup.

And yes, MFP does list coffee as one of my top food sources!
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    It is the usual "trick" where a less than 2g "portion" comes to 5.4 Cal or less, ergo can be named 0 Cal.

But my mugs are large and my coffee is strong... so I use closer to 7g and 25 Cal per cup.

Hahaha
    Yeah I know about that quirky under so many g. or whatever thingy, never thought to apply it though.

I am just falling to pieces on this coffee thread. :'(:s:(

Cheers, h.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Hahaha
    Yeah I know about that quirky under so many g. or whatever thingy, never thought to apply it though.

I am just falling to pieces on this coffee thread. :'(:s:(

Cheers, h.

Beware of instant coffee portions above the 1.4g mark :wink: That's when they magically acquire calories :lol:

BTW: the extra caloric cost of my Nescafe Gold Espresso as compared to brewed coffee is what's finally convinced me to put up with the mess generated by filtered coffee.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Nothing would get me to make filter coffee at home. Smells soooo good, tastes so-so.

Never knew Canadians drank instant. All my friends think I'm strange- Nescafé Rich all way.
    (Yes I take it on cruises and travelling in case they run out.)

Cheers, h.

Apologies for slightly derailing your thread @tracyengelbrecht.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Yup! Rediscovered this myself yesterday. I make the same recipe every other Tuesday. In the past, in a hurry, I just used MFP database entries for the ingredients. But, this month, I started entering my own listings consistently, based on packaging or USDA info.

So, I make this recipe that I have been making for months. Instead of going by package listed "servings" I weigh everything out in grams. My recipe goes from 241 calories/serving, to 304 calories/serving.

OMG! What a difference weighing the ingredients made. I thought back to all of the times I had 2 (or more) servings because, "It's so low in calories.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Good job finding your discrepancy. I've done it, too. I make various versions of a coffee cake I eat just about every day. With almond meal instead of flour. I can't even blame my mistake on a generic entry for almond meal, as I was using one I apparently entered myself. I did change brands at one point along the way, but that could in no way account for how off the calories were. I discovered it by accident in my pantry one day. Some things are just a gradual fine tuning. Cheers!