Need support and ideas please!

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been using MFP for about 5 months but haven't posted here before. I've been trying to lose weight for about 10 years! I have at least 100lbs to lose, ideally about 130 so am really struggling in all aspects. I've tried everything so this year decided to try this and just start eating right and not being on a diet as such, as I know depriving myself doesn't work in the long run.

I'd done really well on here and lost 14lbs, but the past month i've really struggled with overeating and my mood and can't seem to get going again. I'm fine during the day as I restrict what I bring to work but when i get home and have had a bad day I can't stop myself eating too much. I also started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred but after 2 days I found an excuse to stop!

Basically i'm asking for tips and ideas on how I can motivate myself, stop overeating and start exercising. I don't even know why I overeat sometimes (I often binge). I'm 30 in July so am desperate to be smaller for that goal. Its starting to affect my health also, so I know i'm going to not fall off the wagon completely, but am really struggling at the moment. It also doesn't help me that my sister had gastric surgery and is now a size 10! Obviously i'm happy for her but it was a comfort in a way that she was also big and i wasn't alone, now it seems she's forgotten what its like to be big and doesn't really sympathise with me at all!
Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks x

p.s. sorry if there's already some similar posts like this, i'm new to the board!

Replies

• famlyluv
    famlyluv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hey! Don't beat yourself up. Most of us are here cuz we have had a bad relationship with food! I also love to snack in the evening, sometimes haveing a bowl of chocolate cereal before bed. You are taking steps right now to take care of yourself and for that you deserve a pat on the back. Instead of starting of with Ms Jillian Michaels, try taking a 20 min walk a couple times a day. If you have a long enough lunch break you might be able to use part of that time to walk around the building, or down the block. Those extra calories burned through the day will allow you to have a lil treat in the evening. I am new to this while mfp so i can't offer a whole lot of advice. I am here if you would like to accept my friend request!:flowerforyou:
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I always recommend writing down some short term and long term goals. These help keep you accountable. It would also be good to find somebody that you can do this with. Keep yourself surrounded by positive people. Going to the gym is a great place to have access to all kinds of equipment and sometimes you can find friends there too.
    This is something that you need to take slowly. It takes a long time to put on the weight and will take a while to lose it.

You might want to take time to change your grocery list so you can have healthy foods on hand as well.
  • candymycandy
    candymycandy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's great advice thanks, i did wonder if 30 day shred might be a bit too much at my current weight, so think i will definitely get out for walks every day. I was thinking about pinning an "exercise plan" on the fridge in the hope if I have a timetable i will stick to it!

Request accepted! thanks :)
  • candymycandy
    candymycandy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I always recommend writing down some short term and long term goals. These help keep you accountable. It would also be good to find somebody that you can do this with. Keep yourself surrounded by positive people. Going to the gym is a great place to have access to all kinds of equipment and sometimes you can find friends there too.
    This is something that you need to take slowly. It takes a long time to put on the weight and will take a while to lose it.

You might want to take time to change your grocery list so you can have healthy foods on hand as well.

Thanks for this, I definitely need to adjust what's in my cupboards as I know I can't resist! Thanks for your wise words :)
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. You seem to know what you're doing wrong. There are little things you can do: not buy junky type food, set smaller or shorter term weight loss goals to achieve, and take the exercise thing one day at a time.

It's all about willpower and if you want it bad enough.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would suggest would be to get rid of any and all unhealthy foods from your house and replace them with healthy options. If you get cravings at night, your only options will be healthy snacks. Never a good idea to "deprive" yourself. Just eat healthier foods when you get these urges.
    Drink lots of water all the time and especially when you're at home. This will help fill you up and help you control cravings a little. I used to hate water but now I crave it. I drink at least 100 oz per day.
    Take a picture of yourself and hang it on the fridge. I found this helps remind me what I look like and what my goals are every time I go to get something to eat.

You may also want to consider seeing a therapist. A lot of people who suffer with eating disorders have underlying issues that need to be dealt with. Don't be afraid to get help.

Most impotantly... Love yourself!

Losing weight is not easy. There are a lot of challenges you must overcome but it is one of the most rewarding things you can do. Find the will within yourself to stick to it and you will change your life in more ways than you can imagine.

Good luck to you.
  • saraco
    saraco Posts: 7
    Options
    I am the same as you. I had getting married as my goal and now that i have got married i have lost all focus and motivation even though i still have a ton of weight to lose!

I am slowly building it back by setting small goals with rewards (such as a manicure for 7lbs lost etc) also fitness goals like training for a triathlon (which i hope to do next year i can barely run yet!).

Also i find having something visual to show how well i have done helps. I have a calender on my fridge and star stickers in 3 colours (gold for food, blue for water and silver for exercise) when i am within my calories i get a gold star that day, if i have drunk my quota of water i get a blue one and if i do at least 30 mins of exercise i get a silver one (simple things keep me happy!!).

I think its all about the smaller goals rather than just striving for the big picture. If you want you can add me as a freind for some support.
  • redhare
    redhare Posts: 5
    Options
    You are doing a great job by knowing what the pattern is. I'm very much the same way I do struggle with eatting my emotions. The hardest part is learning how to break the cycle. I'm willing to take that journey with you through the good and bad. Accountabillity to each other is a very helpful tool and a supportive one as well. Friend me if your interested.