Goal strategy - OCR/5k

Options
So the good thing is going ok, but I hate the gym so I think I need a fitness goal. Going 3x week isn’t proving to be a motivating enough goal.

I hate running (excessively, it’s weird), but I think a 5k run (spring) and a 5k obstacle course race (late summer/early fall) next summer are reasonable. Obviously, I’m hoping the process will make fitness a permanent part of my lifestyle (at least 3x week). I haven’t been to the gym in months.

From what I’ve read, I think I should focus first on 5k prep, with light general weight training (I’m naturally very muscular, so more maintaining muscle and technique/form) and some conditioning (flexibility, etc).
Once I’m comfortably able to run a 5k, I’ll change the focus to the weight training/conditioning/OCR prep.

Is this a reasonable plan? I have a year, so plenty of time.

Note: virtually all my training will be in a gym/treadmill. It’s my preference (not currently comfortable exercising in public save for gym) and I live in Canada, so no choice until at next spring anyway.

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    look into a 5k training plan. most people nowadays use c25k or zombierun
    do what you want on your rest days
    if you doing a treadmill thing try doing it at 1-2 percent incline.
    runnersworld had treadmill workouts

nothing really prepares you for running outside like running outside though
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. All you really need is a general cardio/resistance fitness program. Prepping for the 5K is fairly straightforward. Prep for the OCR is just general fitness. You won't be running a consecutive 5K and the obstacles will probably be varied in their physical requirements.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    zeldon919 wrote: »

Note: virtually all my training will be in a gym/treadmill. It’s my preference (not currently comfortable exercising in public save for gym) and I live in Canada, so no choice until at next spring anyway.

Some of us are crazy enough to run outside all winter but you have plenty of time to train. Personally I find running on a treadmill mind numbingly boring but it gets the job done for thousands of runners (many elite maratthoners train on them in winter).

I would, however, recommend getting outside as soon as you deem it practical as running a treadmill and running on the road are two different beasts. I ran my first 5K race after training almost exclusively on a treadmill and got horrible shin splints around the3rd km.

I should warn you, 5Ks are gateway races. I used to hate running but wanted to get into shape for soccer, ran a few 5Ks, then 10Ks followed by half-marathons and triathlons.....it's addictive.

Have fun!

• zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

The plan is to do one of the couch to 5k programs. Should I focus on time (run 30min, work up to 5k) or distance (run 5k in whatever time, then improve speed)?

Is running on an outdoor track ok, or is it still very different to street running?

I fully acknowledge that I may become a runner by the end of this. I’m doubtful it’ll happen to me, but if im proven wrong I’m ok with that.

Also I tend to run some old sitcom (maybe Frazier) while running, roughly the right length and just distracting enough.
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The plan is to do one of the couch to 5k programs. Should I focus on time (run 30min, work up to 5k) or distance (run 5k in whatever time, then improve speed)?

Focus on time first and work up to running non-stop for 30 minutes no matter how slow. Few people complete a C25k programme and are able to immediately finish a 5k in 30 minutes. But slow is good! Many people struggle with running at the begining because they're running too fast. And running non-stop for 30 minutes is a fantastic acheivement!

Once I hit 5k, I worked on slowly increasing my distance and weekly mileage. I didn't do any speed work but I found my 5k times were improving anyway.
  • zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    So just to understand, I should focus on running (“running”) 30min (whatever the distance), then focus on building to running 5k (however long that takes)?
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Yes. Once you finish the C25K program, increase either time or distance by up to 10% per week.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Just a few comments to hopefully help...

First, your lungs will develop faster than your legs. Don't try to run 'fast' just because you can. Your legs will take time to adapt and, no matter how good they feel, resist the urge to do more. Running injuries sneak up on you. One day you feel great and then suddenly you don't.

Get a plan and follow it. Any decent beginner 5k plan will have you running 3 times a week and very slowly build to the full distance. Once you get there, don't be afraid to go further. Training for a 10k is a great way to make your 5k time much faster.

Speaking of faster, do not worry about speed workouts. Just running slowly for distances greater than 5k will be the only thing you need to get faster. Save the speed work for later (when your hooked :D ).

Finally, if I had to run on a dreadmill all the time I'd hate running too. Get outside. Even when the weather sucks it is still better outside than stuck on a dreadmill.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Make your weight training challenging, not "light".
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada, in Alberta and I run outside all year. I hate the treadmill its an evil I do but 1-2 miles and I am done but outside I will go much longer. You have plenty of time for a 5k and you can find them all year. My last race is often the Santa Shuffle in Dec and then RVR Winter run in Jan. Feb & Mar are fairly low key but you can run anytime. OCR best prep is general fitness and learning techniques of getting over walls, and grip strength is a big one. But its a blast and very addictive!