Modified Push-up?

Options
Hi Everyone! I am 30 days into my new life here and loving it!
I have been doing some exercise DVDs and other programs that have push ups in them. I am unable to do a full push yet. I can go into the plank position and lower myself a tiny tiny bit, but nothing past that or I will fall. My knees hurt if I try the normal modified push ups (I'm 307lb and 6' tall). Currently during this portion of the workout I try the push ups a few times, then get back up and run in place so I don't feel that I'm wasting time.

Any suggestions on how to better approach push ups at my weight?
Has anyone else has this problem and how did you overcome it?

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Replies

• moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to do your pushups with your hands on a chair and your feet on the floor. It may feel a funny angle, but it puts slightly more of your weight through your legs and less through your arms. If you even struggle with that, try doing them standing up against a wall.
  • hsquared87
    Options
    You can start doing wall push ups. Stand about an arms length away from the wall then do a push up. Eventually you will be able to do regular modified push ups. You could also try to put some towels under your knees for more cushion.
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    I would try an incline push up. Use a chair or bench.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Pillow or towel under the knees. Now you owe extra for trying to get out of them ;^)
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Lots of us have struggles with pushups at the start. I suggest you start doing pushups against a wall, yes, stand facing the wall and push out from the wall. If you can do 12-15 of those then progress to a high bench so your body is at a slight angle. Then to a kitchen bench height, then chair height and then use a very good cushion under your knees.
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    Try standing up, a "giant step" from a wall and do push ups that way. As you get stronger, step back further and go lower on the wall. You should feel the muscles in your chest / arms working when you do them. Personally, I do the modified with a pillow under my knees, but years ago after an auto accident, my personal trainer taught me to use the wall. I hope this helps you. :flowerforyou:
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    LOL in the two mins it took to type this, everyone else suggested the same thing.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Hi Jennyray1, there's no such thing as a modified or even girl pushups. I know you didn't say girl pushups, but some people believe, if a person does pushups on their knees, they are doing girl pushups. A pushup is a pushup. Every body (Not everybody) isn't capable of doing a full pushup. A lot of bodybuilders can't even do a pushup. A lot of people have a weak core.

I have a back issue. A couple times with the exercise program that I'm doing, which is Supreme 90 Day, I have done a few full pushups, other than that I do them on my knees. My core is getting stronger, but right now, I can't do a lot of full pushups and I'm okay with that, because again a pushup is a pushup.

I have an ExerciseTV workout called Lose Weight Fast. In Michael Carson's 20 minute workout, he teaches people that can't do a full pushup, how to build up to doing a full pushup. He shows us how, by lying on the stomach, with your hands in the pushup position and your legs up. You lower your legs unto your toes and raise up at the same time. It helps. No, you probably can't use this move to go along with people that are doing it fast in videos, but the key is to go at your own pace. After a while, the body will get strong enough to do a full push.
  • JenRedesigned
    JenRedesigned Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I had not thought of the pillow/cushion under the knees- I am definitely going to try that today. If that doesn't work, then I will start with the wall! You are all awesome!

... and no, I am not trying to "get out" of doing them... if I was, I would not be asking for help... Larius! :-)
  • courtneylwatson
    courtneylwatson Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I did the 30day shred last month (lost 7lbs) but never was able to get the full push-up down. I tried on the last day thinking that I had gotten strong enough and fell FLAT on my face. I do push-ups off of my coffee table, so much better for my nose!
  • chubbyandawkward
    Options
    I used to be at the point where I couldn't do 2 modified pushups in a row (I can now do 10-12 and am working on proper ones n_n) but what I used to do to strengthen my arms was get on my hands and knees so my legs are at a 90 degree and with my body, get my hands a little wider than my shoulders and touch my nose to the floor then push back up. It doesn't feel like much at first but once you get to ten or so they really hurt! They helped me with my strength and the results are quite quick :)