Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Honest opinions on weight loss surgery

Replies

• IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Jetrail wrote: »
    Hi , i was looking for some honest opinions on weight loss surgeries such as gastric bypass and sleeves etc. While it's great people are bettering their health do you feel the person who makes hard lifestyle changes and loses the weight on their own works harder ? Is it wrong to feel that way? . I guess to me when you decide to change your lifestyle and really grind for what you want health wise it seems slot harder vs losing weight with surgical help, maybe I'm wrong but I'd like some opinions, like I said it's still grwat when anyone betters their lifestyle

Eh, I don't know. I don't think they are taking the easy way out. All that they go through - pain from surgery, throwing up, leaky butt, etc. They lose the weight fast, so we think it's easy. I think they are FORCED to lose the weight fast, but I wouldn't say that's the easy way.

I'd rather go to the gym everyday and eat well than have to deal with that.

• MissJessAU77
    MissJessAU77 Posts: 7 Member
    Thing is, the ones I have seen have lost weight and still share tasty food posts on Facebook. Meanwhile over here, I am trying to make a lettuce leaf look appetising. Unfortunately every now and again I need to eat to train (middle distance triathlon). So not an option I guess.
  • MissJessAU77
    MissJessAU77 Posts: 7 Member
    Gotta lose weight and still eat.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    It isn't for me, why risk unnecessary surgery.
    Whichever way you choose, I don't feel that any way of losing weight is easy. However you choose to lose weight, you still have to consume less calories than you burn.
    Becoming a healthier weight is a huge step in the right direction to becoming healthier.
    However you can accomplish that, go for it. No judgement from me.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    Gotta lose weight and still eat.

Well, true, but that doesn't answer the question.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Thing is, the ones I have seen have lost weight and still share tasty food posts on Facebook. Meanwhile over here, I am trying to make a lettuce leaf look appetising. Unfortunately every now and again I need to eat to train (middle distance triathlon). So not an option I guess.

Usually you're not eligible for the surgery unless you're BMI 35 or above with significant co-morbidities (such as high blood pressure or diabetes) so it seems unlikely that a healthy triathlete would be eligible.

But there are about ten million appetizing ways to eat lettuce, and no reason at all to eat it if none of those work for you. Eat a variety of healthy foods within your calorie allowance and enjoy.
  • BlueyezItalia
    BlueyezItalia Posts: 20 Member
    Ive seen ppl who did weight loss surgery and had problems absorbing vitamins and minerals. This in turn cause their skin to look malnourished and unhealthy, not to mention saggy skin.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    5 months ago I had reached my highest weight - 170 kg, 375 pounds. "Professional" opinion pointed to surgery but at no stage was I told that at the same time I would have to change to a healthier lifestyle, better eating habits. Not that I didn't know - after all, where did all that fat come from? So I had some blood tests done and told my (new) GP that I would see him again in a year's time. For me it feels like a challenge. a way of learning new things, experiencing life I thought half forgotten. My crutch and support is MFP from day one and all the members I can learn so much from. THANK YOU! There might be a long weight loss journey in front of me but I only concentrate on today, with a couple of thoughts for tomorrow's meal plan. I still worry about 85.000 times a week if it is possible to lose weight and get healthier again. Our home scale still dies when I step onto it but my old clothing is feeling loose or is falling off my waist and my daily recorded food intake on MFP tells me that I am on the right track. Healing after an operation would have taken time, my body would have gone through a stressful time, I would have to be on some sort of medication / vitamin tablets - so far I have avoided all that. I am starting to see food in a different way, I now understand trigger food and food allergies which I need to be careful with. I have not considered the costs involved of an operation but I am pretty sure that my new, healthier meal plan is somewhat cheaper compared to my old way of eating. Either way I will live with my decision for the rest of my life and I prefer to be in charge of my own body. Once you remove bits and pieces surgically, it's difficult - even impossible - to reverse such a decision.

Keep up the great work: you can do it! How do I know? Because you ARE doing it! Your pants are getting looser, so just keep doing the same thing and you will get there.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    lin1999 wrote: »
    Someone commented “it’s a very personal thing” — Not when the rest of us have to pay for it with our medical premiums.
    I know many people who had it and regained all the weight. Waste of money and it didn’t help the person who went through it.

By this logic, deciding whether or not to have a child isn't a personal thing. If my health insurance premiums are helping cover weight loss surgery for a few people, they're used to a much greater extent to pay for the costs associated with prenatal and pediatric care.
    You know, there are all these silly people who go out and do sports and exercise all over the place, and some of them always get injured, and then my health insurance premiums have to cover them. What a rip-off. ;););)

(yes, that was a joke. please hold your rants until I actually earn them.)

• Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    edited September 2018
    hesn92 wrote: »
    This discussion somewhat reminds me of people thinking moms who have c sections are taking the easy way out. To me that is hilarious. I don’t know that I would ever consider surgery to be an easy way out
    This comparison makes me very glad that it is considered safe to push a baby through the birth canal at a rate faster than 2 lbs/week.
    ;)