I'm back! I need friends! Especially Gym goers, Ex-WWers, and Type1 diabetics, but all are welcome.

Options
Here's a bit about me:

I'm 37, married, mom of 2, a 14 yr old boy and an 11 yr old daughter. I've been doing WWers, but it just doesn't work for me.

My daughter was just diagnosed as a T1diabetic in June, so our world flipped upside down, and we're learning a whole new way of managing meals. So if any diabetics out there that would like to give me any advice food tips, activities good for her, I'm open for it.

Now, the week after my daughter was diagnosed, we (my brother, my sister, and my daughter and I) joined a gym. After 2 months, we are in a routine of 3 nights per week. And we focus mostly on weights, cable machines and presses. I'd love any advice on what you think the best areas of focus are. My trouble zone is upper body. I have little to no strength in my arms and I need to lose some flab in my belly..... and I hate cardio... seriously, I know I need it, but 5 minutes and I'm done. lol

And I work a full time desk job, we eat lunch out most days. And usually my family goes out to eat after church on Sundays. So there are a lot of meals away from home, but 90% of our dinners are cooked at home, but not necessarily from scratch. I enjoy cooking and experimenting, so calling all cooks also!

Replies

• Cardioguy81
    Cardioguy81 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Follow t1d Laura Kronen on twitter, good thing soon diabetic kids will be needle free because fda approved afrezza is in pediatric trials...
  • rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I still go to WW for the weigh-ins, but I'm not crazy about the new Freestyle program, so I track with MFP.

I wouldn't worry about doing any kind of hardcore cardio. You can get the health benefits by doing moderate aerobic activity like walking or riding a bicycle.

https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/pa-health/index.htm

I'm not a diabetic but here is the CDC link for managing diabetes with physical activity:

https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/managing/active.html

• cryptidsun
    cryptidsun Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    never done wwers and never set foot in the gym due to anxiety, but i have had t1diabetes for 10 years! it's not all as scary as it seems (honest)
    i'm happy to answer any questions from my experience. i was diagnosed when i was 15 so i have some of the teenage-years that i went through with it!