Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Burn 500 calories in 30 minutes

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    RicoFit14 wrote: »
    Calories burned should never be calculated into your daily caloric intake. Remove that from your diary and you'll be much happier with your weight loss.

all depends on the method you are using(TDEE,NEAT,) if a person eats 1200 calories and burns 1000 they shouldnt eat back any and net 200 calories? that would basically be undereating. not to mention what their body already burns by being alive so basically its like not eating at all.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

How?! I only burn about 35-40 calories per mile. [/quote]

Running should be significantly more than that unless you're very underweight.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    It takes me a12+ mike run to burn 1k calories. The pitfalls of being a small female :disappointed:

I'm so slow I burn nearly 2000 Calories running a half (takes me around 2.5hrs),it takes a LOT of effort to get my hr up thanks to the amount I do, but I *can* burn around 450 in half hour going all out on the rower.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I think promoting "burn 500 calorie" workouts exacerbates the misknowledge about diet and fitness.

Amen...
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Average size/average fitness male. It takes me just about 40 minutes of running to burn off 500 calories.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    for me: 500 calories of running would be ~6.94 miles, so ~1h 10m
    cycling: ~17ish miles, ~1h - 1h 15m
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    These ads do not say 'extra calories' so maybe they are including bmr calories???
  • chubbycatcorner
    chubbycatcorner Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Calories burned should never be calculated into your daily caloric intake. Remove that from your diary and you'll be much happier with your weight loss.

Hate to sound stupid. But why is That?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Control your energy balance (CICO) by how much you eat, build your body by how you move, recover by how you sleep and the rest will take care of itself. Don't major in the minors by worrying about how many calories you burned during a workout. Get off the hamster wheel and go live your life...
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options

Once I'm recovered from surgery I will end up with my pre-surgery exercise habits (or more as now it'll be less painful to run). There are days where I would do a 5 mile run in the morning, 1.5hr strength training midday (I have a 3 hour break between classes), and do an evening 2-3 mile run. That can add up to over 1000 calories burned, my body needs the fuel to function. There's no way I could function if I didn't eat back at least most, if not all of my exercise calories.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »

Once I'm recovered from surgery I will end up with my pre-surgery exercise habits (or more as now it'll be less painful to run). There are days where I would do a 5 mile run in the morning, 1.5hr strength training midday (I have a 3 hour break between classes), and do an evening 2-3 mile run. That can add up to over 1000 calories burned, my body needs the fuel to function. There's no way I could function if I didn't eat back at least most, if not all of my exercise calories.

thats an awful lot of exercise and stress on a body in one day though
  • dsproffitt
    dsproffitt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind, women burn calories much slower than men for the same activity.
    Men (generally) have larger frames and larger body mass.

So, there is no way that any of these 500 cals in half an hour can be accurate. We are all different and calories (at best) are only an estimate.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Never?
    You seem incredibly narrow-minded if you don't realise that many people have erratic exercise schedules where estimating exercise after the event is superior in terms of accuracy, or may simply prefer a variable daily goal, or do exercise that actually needs fuelling on the day.
    The Tour de France would be interesting - the race would turn into the last rider not to collapse at the side of the road wins.

That's not just elite athletes, even old duffers like me actually need to fuel their exercise.

4u2q09dl5830.png

I can see where outfits get the 500 calories/hour deal. If I were to believe my stats from yesterday's return ride. (I did the same ~22mi up) they might think they are burning 500+ calories/hour.

l9kaalkwxuhq.jpg

I figure I'm safe eating back about 1/2 of what Map My Ride and the other apps guess I'm burning.

If only I could maintain that 32.9mph for more than say the 1/4 mile we duffers sprint from an overpass to a turn...

It's relatively flat here in flyover country, so while no hills, no fast descents to manage :smiley:

My personal refueling strategy was a waffle with bacon bits at a coffee shop before we returned home :smile: and two cups of my personal energy drink, coffee.