Exercising with a bad knee. Advice needed.

Options
My husband has severe problems with one of his knees and this is stopping him from exercising. Has anyone been in this situation and do you have any advice??

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    Options
    First, go see a doctor to see if they can suggest what he can't do. Then do everything else!

I know strength training worked to help my bad knee, but it may be a different problem. See if he can do upper body work on a machine or bench (so he's sitting or laying down).
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Swimming is ideal since there's no pressure on the joints. Otherwise, I'd see a doctor and physical therapist to get some good exercises that will help him strengthen and get back to regular exercising! I've had two knee surgeries and PT was the best thing because they customize routines just for you!
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    I have thesame problem, torm miniiscus in left knee, both knees have arthritus, to the poing where it hurts to bend them. In teh P90x program you can modify anything in that video. I am taking Glucosamine, and Chondroiten along with Osteo bi plex, after each workout involving my legs I take 3 aleve. I have lostover 50 pounds and I can really tell thedifference with the weight off of me. My doctor fixed the miniscus and informed me no running or jumping. I have actually started jumping a bit( not to high) in Plyometrics. They can do cortizone shots but you are only allowed so many of those a year. Good Luck
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee also. I find that the elliptical is alot easier for me to do than any high impact exercise like running or jump rope, and you can burn a good amount of calories on it if you keep your resistance high. I do still love to run though so when I do I make sure to wear a brace (you can get one at most drug stores)...and after a run I always soak in Epsom salts and rum my knee with Icy Hot. This helps the pain and the swelling.

Stationary bikes are also good. I do spin classes and notice very little strain on my knee. Hope this helps a little.
  • twitbffl
    twitbffl Posts: 24
    Options
    I also have bad knees. You have to build the leg muscles around the knee in order to relieve the joint of pain. Swimming is always a good thing for this. Someone also said modifying moves to be mindful of your knee. See the doctor and make sure he is allowed to workout his lower body FIRST! He doesn't want to further any injury. Good luck and hope your husband feels better.
  • HeleneBoeck
    Options
    I agree with the Swimming-advise. Breaststroke should be advoided as it twists the knee.

I found the perfect solution in using the five-fingers shoes. They definitely don't support the sex-apeal, but they are sooo comfortable.
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.it/

Good luck:)
  • nikkolcamarillo
    nikkolcamarillo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest going to the doctor as I am sure that he/she can give you a whole list of low impact exercises. When I had knee issues/surgery the first place the PT put me was on the stationary (or recumbant) bike so that is definitely a cardio option. Also, depending on how bad his knee issues are, an eliptical machine might be an option too. If y'all are not members of a gym you might want to invest in those exercise bands and of course an exercise ball. I assume that he should be able to do most sitting machines/exercises and most core workouts.

I hope this helps!