Quick, savoury breakfast ideas please

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
I find any kind of sweet breakfast like cereal or fruit doesn't satisfy me. Can you recommend something savoury I can eat in the morning that will keep me going until lunch, please?

I'm aiming for no more than 300 calories, must be prepared and eaten in 20 minutes and preferably have some fibre. Fussy, aren't I?!

Replies

• luisabaeta
    luisabaeta Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Maybe some of those ryvita biscuits with cottage cheese (and maybe some cherry tomatoes), or some other low-cal spread you may like? Or perhaps a quickly fried egg on a piece of wholemeal toast.
  • BerryH
    Options
    Ooh good ideas. I was just saying I like Scandinavian style breakfast. Perhaps rye bread and some ham, low-fat cheese or fish.
  • SabineH05
    Options
    what about simple oatmeal with a bit of salt in it (just a tiny bit). It is really filling and does not have to many calories! you could add some plain yoghurt to it.
  • shezza737
    shezza737 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post about ryvita and cottgae cheese, always a good savoury ooption. If not I sometimes go ''continental'' as such and go for ham/cheese and breads or a tortilla wrap ( may sound strange but after the first time of trying it, it's now a regular breakfast for me)

As well as fried/poached/scrambled egg on wholemeal toast which is delicious and i find very filling. Or pehaps tinned or grilled tomatoesand mushrooms on toast.
  • shezza737
    shezza737 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Am sure i must have some more ideas too as I am not a sweet breakfast person either x
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do like scrambled eggs with added veggies (onion, chilli, spinack is a good combo)
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I've just made myself scambled eggs with smoked salmon on multi-seed toast. :tongue: Took about 10mins to cook... a bit longer to eat only beacuse I didn't want to gorge. Haven't worked out the calories yet.
  • krstnmuir
    Options
    scrambled egg whites with a soy burger chopped up in it yum!.......yogurt with a tbsp of flax meal + half cup rasberries(lots of fiber).......cottage cheese+tbs chopped walnuts+a dribble of honey........1/4 avocado sliced on piece of whole grain toast...... oatmeal....... those are some of my favorite quck eats... I think they are all under 300....and nutritious....also delicious
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    1 egg/ 3 egg white scrambled eggs with lean bacon bits or veggies (I chop up a bunch to be used through the week), rye/wasa crackers, laughing cow light triangles, cottage cheese, or scottish oats with peanut butter (1tbsp)...

I'm a total savoury person. i often also just eat a sandwich for breakfast with lowfat cheese, maybe a couple slices of chorizo. surprisingly it doesn't have to be large calorie amounts for a sandwich (depending on your bread of course).
  • shelltree
    shelltree Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you have "corn flakes" or something like that. But the cornflakes we have here is pretty low cal, 1 cup = 100 cals so 2 cups of them with skim milk should do the trick :) That or a couple of slices of wholemeal toast with low joule jam and a small apple or other piece of fruit should be within the same cals you are looking at.
  • cherrycake26
    Options
    I have become a fan of 1 egg yolk three egg whites, with bacon medalions and mushrooms scrambled, quick easy and with a slice of nimble wholemeal toasted it fills me up till lunchtime under 300 cals.
  • BerryH
    Options
    Ooh lovely ideas! I love avocado, and let's face it bacon or cheese improve any meal!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Two slices Hovis wholemeal, each one topped with a squeeze of marmite, layer of low fat cream cheese, topped with slices of tomato and cucumber, ground black pepper, spray of olive oil (M&S do an oilve oil prayer, it's fab)
  • Milziemooxx
    Milziemooxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Poached eggs on toast with cracked black pepper is always one of my fav meals for breakfast lunch or dinner :tongue: xx
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Ooh lovely ideas! I love avocado, and let's face it bacon or cheese improve any meal!

Forgot to mention I put a teaspoon of Phili into the scambled eggs to make it creamy :tongue:
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Two slices Hovis wholemeal, each one topped with a squeeze of marmite, layer of low fat cream cheese, topped with slices of tomato and cucumber, ground black pepper, spray of olive oil (M&S do an oilve oil prayer, it's fab)

With 40g of the cream cheese that comes to 295 cals, excluding coffee or tea :drinker:

Do your toast while you're boiling the kettle and the rest can be done in 2 minutes flat!
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Wholemeal english breakfast muffin, 1/2 strips of lean bacon, scrambled egg and ketchup! Add fried mushrooms or tomato for a more hearty meal.
  • ratmist
    ratmist Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Jacob's High Fibre cream crackers. Top with low-fat cheese, or smoked fish (good way to get protein and omega-3), or my favourite, caramelised onion and cranberry chutney + emmental.
  • BerryH
    Options
    I'm actually getting excited about breakfast with these alternatives, thanks! This week's grocery shopping will get me organised.
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    hey - I like scrambled eggs in a muffin - tiny bit of butter and chives and a dash of ketchup (check my diary today) under 300. Turkey rashers might be a better bet than bacon although a fry-up is one of those things I've managed to avoid since MFP although it's something I'm craving (along with fish and chips and a takeaway curry!)