diet confusion

Options
I have struggled to loose weight for some time. I hear low carb is the way to lose. I hear high fat low carb is what I should do. Then I am told that the simple approach of eat less calories than you burn. I am just so confused. I have hypothyroid so I struggle anyway. I work an office job and I walk about 20 minutes during lunch. In the mornings a few times a week I will do strength training for about 30 minutes and then when I come home I stay active doing things in my flower beds or around the house. I am always getting over 8,000 steps in a day.

I have tried low carb, gluten free, high fat/low carb, heart healthy diets. Nothing seems to get the weight to come off.
What is the right thing to do?

Replies

• alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation... I think it really comes down to calories on vs calories out. The hard part is sticking with it day after day.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Technically yes, calories in, calories out is what actually matters for weight loss.

You could eat your daily calorie allowance in candy and chocolate and would still lose weight..
    You would also be hungry, lethargic and likely eventually malnourished.

I prefer and feel my best with a high carb and lower fat “diet” ( I did some intuitive eating/ listening to my body and trial and error to figure this out) —When I say high carb I mean whole grains, fruits and veggies.

You could try eating a well balanced diet, but don’t deprive yourself of the foods you love. Play around and see what keeps you on track and within your calorie goals.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Honestly what you should do is find a program or way of eating that you can maintain permanently. I am hypothyroid and there are several of us here who have lost and continue to maintain. Personally I was not able to stick with a Keto lifestyle but lowering my calories and slowly changing the foods I eat worked for me. My exercise has been daily walking. I honestly believe that the best program for each person is the one that they can live with. Take your time to lose and learn what you need to know along the way. Don't expect to lose your excess pounds overnight and be patient. Almost anyone can lose weight but maintaining it is the trick. To do that you need to find changes you can live with permanently and accept that you can't ever go back to what you used to think of as "normal". Good luck.
  • amlelas68
    amlelas68 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would find whatever plan that you like and think you can do daily and be consistence regardless of what the scale is telling you. Also, taking measurements and go by how your clothes are fitting. Don't look at it as diet -look at it as new way of eating and getting healthy. When I changed my mindset everything fell into place I am down 48 pounds and 16 inches now. But I did not do this overnight, I have been working at this faithfully since Jan. When I have a bad day I just get back on and keep going. You got this.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    This is what I did to lose 50+ pounds at age 59-60 (while hypothyroid), just with the mistakes and false starts left out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

Still at a healthy weight 2+ years later, too, eating the same way.