Any good exercises to avoid joint/tendon injury from lifting?

Options
hey forums, I tried lifting a couple years ago, hurt my shoulder after moving to heavier weights too quickly and kind of let myself go for fear of doing it wrong- but I'm getting back into it now because I always did love it!
A week into trying to lift again I felt my old shoulder twinge again- I backed off and worked on rotator cuff exercises for a few weeks, and thus far that has really helped me painlessly push as much weight as I used to, and more.
Adding rotator cuff exercises as a supplement to my routine has been so helpful to me, I was wondering if anyone here knew of other exercises I could do to similarly prepare vulnerable points of my body for heavier lifting.

(and before anyone says it, yes I know that having good form is important to preventing strain- but I can find lots of wonderful sources to show me that, not as much for injury prevention exercises)

Replies

• RicoFit14
    RicoFit14 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you have Instagram. Look up Dr Jacob Harden. Also Squat University. Tons of free information about mobility and injury prevention.
  • teslac0ils
    teslac0ils Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    These look great, looking forward to incorporating this info in the future. Thank you very much!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have joint and tendon issues just about 24/ 7 for the past decade or so.

Using a program that entales specifically the compound lifts of bench, ohp, squat, and deadlifts at a useful dosage of intensity with adequate recovery has given me stability and strength I need to overcome the issues. My shoulders for first time in 20+ years doesn't ache constantly.

Doing isolation lifts increases my pain levels and inflammation. By increasing my strength with compound lifts efficiently through proper programming, my strength now supports my deformed and weak joints as well as lessoned the pain of tendinopathy.

Not to say isolation exercises couldn't help, but often they are over done with relation to volume of what helps long term.