Plateau?

Options
Mmurray000
Mmurray000 Posts: 10 Member
So I have been working out for 6 months and the last 3 months very little change in body fat loss/gain, muscle gain/loss.

This last month I reduced my caleroires by 200 and thought it should prevent a fat gain however that did not happen, went up 1% body fat and lost muscle.

Do strength training 3 days a week
2-3 cardio days

Now what?

Appreciate ideas.

Female over 40 and not sure what now!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    How are you keeping track of your calorie intake, including, do you eat back exercise calories? And what's your height, current weight, and current calorie target?
  • Mmurray000
    Options
    Using My Fitness Pal, using 30% protein, 35% carbs/fat.
    5’7, 153lbs.

I had moved away from fat loss trying to add muscle.....for July was targeting 2100 and felt it was to much, dropped to give or take 2000.

I find it so confusing as every tool says something different.

After getting my results this week thought maybe I need to back down to 1900 but the whole reason I jumped up to 2100 was I was having minimal progress and not adding muscle.

Appreciate your perspective.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    9ryx1a2jtfih.jpg
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Mmurray000 wrote: »
    So I have been working out for 6 months and the last 3 months very little change in body fat loss/gain, muscle gain/loss.

This last month I reduced my caleroires by 200 and thought it should prevent a fat gain however that did not happen, went up 1% body fat and lost muscle.

Do strength training 3 days a week
    2-3 cardio days

Now what?

Appreciate ideas.

Female over 40 and not sure what now!

please can you clarify, are you trying to lose weight or recomp?

how are you measuring that you gained fat?
  • Mmurray000
    Options
    Thanks everyone.....I go to GoodLife and their machines measures the levels

I was focused on fat loss
    Then in June moved to trying to add lean muscle
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You're at a normal weight, so if you want to keep losing weight, weightloss will be slow and you will have to be patient and diligent.
    1900-2100 calories measured correctly can be little enough to create a small deficit for you.
    But you haven't told us how you measure/log your food intake, and whether you eat back calories "earned" from exercise, and whether those calories are part of those 1900-2100 calories, and how you estimate calories burnt from exercise.
    I find it so confusing as every tool says something different.
    That is partly on purpose, so you will be open to try lots of things and spend more money.
    The basics are pretty straightforward, though - to lose weight, you have to be in a sustained calorie deficit. To build muscles, you need to use them and feed them and rest them.
    I go to GoodLife and their machines measures the levels
    Be wary when someone diagnose you and the same people can earn money from you buying their products and services.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Mmurray000 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.....I go to GoodLife and their machines measures the levels

I was focused on fat loss
    Then in June moved to trying to add lean muscle

What sort of machines? If youre adding muscle you will also be adding fat.

Are you eating in a calorie surplus
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Pardyqueenxoxo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    i added swimming to my regime, very simple breaststroke 4x a week 30mins, the difference was crazy! very small and minor but its just under 400 cal burn each time...(this is added to my other workouts)
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Calorie count on most machines is inflated.