Ideas for stir fry mixed veg (other than stir fry!)

Options
ChristyJade
ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
Hey,

So I often buy in the bags of mixed veg for stir fries, and have half a bag leftover. I usually don't want another stir fry - does anyone have any good ideas of what I can use it for? Most of the time I end up chucking it away as I can't think of what to have with it! Any ideas appreciated :) (I'm veggie)

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options
    I make cheat's soupe au pistou with frozen veg. Boil some up with a stock cube, and a tin of white beans or chick peas and a diced tomato, skin and all. In each bowl, put a large dollop of pesto in the veggie soup. Best with homemade pesto or from a good trattoria.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    soup, pot pie, just eating it as a side dish
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    I vote for soup! Quite often I buy frozen vegetables for stew and use and cook the whole bag for soup in vegetable, beef or chicken broth. It saves me time because I don't have to peel or cut the vegetables, and I may add browned onions or any other left over veggies that I find in the fridge, plus any spice that you like. I always leave the kitchen sink untouched because I need it for washing the dishes... :p
    When the soup is done I blend everything with the hand-held blender, and I even freeze a couple of portions for another day.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I never buy frozen veggies besides peas and corn so i'm not sure... I would try soup like many people said or maybe in rice. Just sauté them quickly and add rice and water (or broth is even better), as usual. I do that with fresh veggies (I tried pretty much all of them and it's always good), it bulks up rice and taste great.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'll put taco or fajita seasoning in them and eat it with sour cream and salsa.

I've also pureed them and added to marinara or hummus. There really is no added flavor, but you get a nutritional boost.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Cook it and have it as a side dish with eggs or meat.
    Make sesame or peanut noodles and have the veggies with it.
    Chop it up and use in fried rice or a casserole.
    You can keep it in the freezer for months so save it for another stir fry.
  • mskathleen7
    mskathleen7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like to make an alfredo sauce and cook, smother and enjoy!
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Throw them in a soup, mix them with pesto and eat with pasta, make a curry with them, make a veggie quesadilla...the possibilities are endless. Also mix some into scrambled eggs/omelet, make a frittata or quiche, pot pie, or just eat them plain with a little seasoning of choice.
  • jcaillier67
    jcaillier67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would lean more towards an oriental soup, as most of the stir fry veggies I buy include water chestnuts and snow peas. You can make a chicken stock broth and add a little soy, use veggies, shrimp and or mussels. Or add shrimp and wontons to satisfy your daily meal starch requirement.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have a few favorite varieties of frozen stir fry mix that I can add to just about anything. Throw some in your pasta sauce to bulk out the meal (I find I can eat less actual pasta this way and be just as satisfied). Or cook with some minced meat/lentils, add a bit of broth and top with leftover mashed potatoes. Sometimes I'll even dry fry them, add a bit of salsa, and use it as a filler for omelets. Endless possibilities.