Gym newbie

Options
So I’ve lost a lot of weight by just eating healthy. The weight keeps shedding so I’m doing the right thing. I am super out of shape though and am lazy. Getting a gym membership and at this point focus on tightening up my body. Im 5’1 138 so I’m a few pounds from having a “normal” BMI. I would love to get down to 110 because that’s my main goal but tightening up my body is what I want from the gym, any suggestions? Advice? I’ll do what I have to do, to get the body I want.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    If you really are out of shape and lazy and a 5x5, 3x5 style barbell programme is a little overwhelming.
    Start with one of the dumbbell or bodyweight programmes in the list (strong curves I hear is flexible) and progress to the barbell.

(Just put that alternative in because there was no way Mrs Sloth here could have gone straight into an Olympic barbell at 5'1 and 130lbs. Body weight and dumbbells preceded the barbell, but I was older. YMMV)

Cheers, h.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    With a decent gym membership you should get an induction and they should write you a starter gym programme. Please don't use Stronglifts or anything until you are comfortable with the gym and all its equipment and have your techniques sorted so you are doing them properly.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    The link posted above is good. Since you said your goal is to "tighten up your body" I would recommend checking out new rules of lifting for women or strong curves. Stronglifts is a popular one but it's main focus is building up your strength in an efficient manner, not geared so much towards "aesthetics" although I'm sure you would have good aesthetic results with it still.
  • carabev8
    carabev8 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I first started at the gym I would do 15 minutes on any cardio machine (treadmill, bike, stairmaster, elliptical) and push myself until I was sweating. Then just use the weight machines through the gym! They’re a little intimidating at first but most of them have directions on them and start out doing a very low weight and high repetitions and your confidence and strength should build over time! Good luck! If you have the mental strength to control your diet then you definitely have the capacity to push yourself in the gym! 💕 don’t think about it as “tightening” your body. Building muscle is what burns fat and will get you that toned look you’re looking for