Picking up speed!

Options
I've been running for a little over a year now. I'm still around a 10:30/11 min mile. Any suggestions on how to pick up the pace? I have really bad knees and feet, so my strides are short.

Replies

• hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    This is what I have been doing to gradually pick up speed. Try speeding up for short intervals - depending on the lenght of your run - try 3-5 minutes at first at a faster pace and then slow back down to your steady pace. Keep increasing the amount of time you run faster as well as the frequency of the intervals until you are doing your run at the faster pace. This process has worked very well for me. Good luck.
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    when i jog (which aint that often so i am sure that others will have more qualified advice for you) i always sprint as fast as i can as i am getting towards the end just to use the last bit of energy i might be able to dig out. i would suggest trying to incorporate a few short sprints into you jog just to break your well rehearsed rhythm that your body has fallen into. even if its just to the next drive way or the next light post etc. let your body learn it can work at a different pace :)