UGGHH - I am gaining WEIGHT

Options
I have lost a total of 31 lbs. so far doing cardio & weight training while eating healthy. Two weeks ago, I added ab/lower back exercises 3-4 days a week for about a half hour per day (I take a class with the instructor at the gym) & I have gained 5 lbs. while still eating healthy. Can anyone explain why this is? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• cloudj9
    cloudj9 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    muscles.
  • bmb528
    bmb528 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    haha muscle !
  • valguthrie2915
    Options
    You are building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat.
  • brianmncpa
    Options
    There is absolutely no way you gained 5lbs of muscle in two weeks. It's more likely than not, that your increased intensity workouts and the fact that you are working a new muscle group, have caused your muscles to retain water as they repair themselves.

And, 5lbs of muscle weighs just as much as 5lbs of fat. Muscle is denser than fat which means 5lbs of muscle takes up less space than 5 lbs of fat.

You'll find that as you keep eating correctly and working out, you will break this cycle and the weight will start to drop again.
  • Cmon78
    Cmon78 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no way you gained 5lbs of muscle in two weeks. It's more likely than not, that your increased intensity workouts and the fact that you are working a new muscle group, have caused your muscles to retain water as they repair themselves.

And, 5lbs of muscle weighs just as much as 5lbs of fat. Muscle is denser than fat which means 5lbs of muscle takes up less space than 5 lbs of fat.

You'll find that as you keep eating correctly and working out, you will break this cycle and the weight will start to drop again.

THIS
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the exact same thing as a pound of fat; but it does take up less space. So if you're still shrinking, then you're fine. Soldier on. You're doing good so far.
  • Bluejay789
    Bluejay789 Posts: 176
    Options
    Measure yourself, bet you are loosing inches. Or try on a clothing item that has did not fit a month ago and I bet it fits now.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of muscle weighs the exact same thing as a pound of fat; but it does take up less space. So if you're still shrinking, then you're fine. Soldier on. You're doing good so far.

Per volume, muscle does weigh more than fat. One liter of muscle will weigh more than one liter of fat - which is why you can take up the same amount of space and actually weigh more.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Per volume, muscle does weigh more than fat. One liter of muscle will weigh more than one liter of fat - which is why you can take up the same amount of space and actually weigh more.

Yes. You are right. But we don't measure ourselves in liters. (in case you were wondering, yes, it was a humorous smart *kitten* remark that meant no harm :)
  • cshelgol1
    cshelgol1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I bet you look great! Muscle weighs more than smooshy fat! :smile: