Putting Walks into Jogs?

Options
Hi everyone!

I have been jogging for a few months now, albeit extremely slow, most people will power walk at my pace, but I'm doing it and up to 10k a few times a week. I want to be able to put in big miles and I have seen a few people talking about adding walks to their runs from the start instead of my usual run all the way. I think doing this could really help me increase my distances, as I feel a bit stuck at 10k, but I have no idea how to go about it. Does anyone else do this, or have any ideas on how I can hit 10 - 13 miles eventually?

Thanks!

Replies

• Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi! Google C25k. It stands for Couch to 5k and you can look at the program for free online. There are phone apps to help you do it, and podcasts. It basically works you up to running /jogging 5K in 9 weeks. I am on week 6. I was never a jogger before but this is making it all much easier for me. It has changed my life! I jogged for 20 mins without stopping at the end of last week and this is something I thought I would never do! Hope you try it and it works for you!
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I am doing C25K also.....
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Oh and there is a program that follows for 10k called Bridge to 10 K.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I have been jogging for a few months now, albeit extremely slow, most people will power walk at my pace, but I'm doing it and up to 10k a few times a week. I want to be able to put in big miles and I have seen a few people talking about walking and running, and managing to complete marathons. I think doing this could really help me increase my distances, but I have no idea how to go about it. Does anyone else do this, or have any ideas on how I can hit 10 - 13 miles eventually?

Thanks!

MC

If you want to continue to Run/Walk your way to a marathon the method is called the Jeff Galloway method. He is a famous runner that goes through a program where you run and walk at particular intervals to increase your run indurance. Good Luck.
  • Buckeye_Jenn
    Buckeye_Jenn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    There is also a running guru who advocates mixing walking in with running/jogging to extend your distance and reduce the effect and recovery time for the body. I did a marathon walking one minute after every mile, as well as several half-marathons using this method. Look up Jeff Galloway, his methods and his books. That should be a good starting point for figuring out what works for you.
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use this method in my long runs and it really helped me from a motivation stand point. When I first started running I would do this run/walk rotation from the very beginning of my run, no matter what the distance. No I usually run the first 5-6 miles of most runs. I did a 13.5 mile run on monday doing some walking. Jeff Galloway has written several books you may want to check out also. My wife finished her first half marathon using his method. Here's the link.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    As someone already pointed out, Jeff Galloway is your man if that is the method you are already using. The way to get faster though is to incorporate some speed work: intervals and tempo work are the way to do that.

You can find some free plans at runnersworld.com
  • mariec25
    mariec25 Posts: 47
    Options
    I started with the 30 second runs with walks, with JogScotland which is similar to C25K. However, I can't attend because of work commitments now, so after I reached 5k non stop I have been going it alone up to a full 10k jogging. Do you think its best that I just keep doing 10k until I can add the extra mile or maybe get that 5mins off my 5k time so that I can be under 30mins before I start to move on again. This fitness malarkey is all very confusing.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I have regular walk breaks in all of my long runs right from the off. I'm currently training to do a half marathon in October using this plan. You may want to read more about Jeff Galloway's walk/run method. I use his ratio fro my target pace of run 2/walk 1 and find I can go faster on average than trying to keep running and going slower... and slower...

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

Good luck!
  • mariec25
    mariec25 Posts: 47
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have heard of this Jeff before didn't know his surname so I will check him out. Great advice!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I found an app for my Android phone called miCoach by adidas, it's free and it coaches you on how to meet certain goals such as getting faster or running longer, training for a race etc. If you have a smartphone you might try it.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hal Half Mile training. Get you from 3mi to half marathon in 12 weeks!