Cutting to 160lbs

Options
Slowly bring down the carbs and calories, starting to lean out. Once down it will be time to start packing on some serious muscle tissue ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Replies

• Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    What was your start weight? Also what height are you?

Good luck with the cut
  • Mattripp
    Mattripp Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Height: 5โ€™8
    Starting weight: 179
    Current weight: 167
    Goal weight: 160

7 lbs to go ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi Mattripp,
    How's the cut going? I'm also lowering the carbs and calories. It looks like we're about the same size as well. My most recent cut started at 189lbs and my current weight is 177. My goal is 175 right now. I think the low carbs is working, but I also started doing intermittent fasting too. Have you tried it? If so, what was your experience with it. I'm concerned about losing too much muscle and not as much fat. I'm not sure I want to do Keto, but I hear its great to burn fat.
  • Mattripp
    Options
    Hi PokernuttAR

Iโ€™ve never tried intermittent fasting, I train late in the evening so I need the carbs in the evening pre and post work out for recovery. Let me know how you find it though, I know some non lifters who have lost a lot of weight doing it.
    Iโ€™ve also heard really good things about Keto, the results speak for themselves on almost all bodybuilding forums. With anything I think knowledge is key. I donโ€™t know enough about it TBH.
    Itโ€™s a tough one huh, you work so hard on a bulk that you want to keep as much muscle as possible during your cut.
    I personally like to slowly reduce calories about 100 per week, slowly bringing carbs and fats down at the same time.
    Itโ€™s finding what works best for you, and maintaining a good weight program.

Good luck on your cut bro ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
  • Mattripp
    Options
    Iโ€™ve also heard good things about carb cycling. Again never tried it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi PokernuttAR

Iโ€™ve never tried intermittent fasting, I train late in the evening so I need the carbs in the evening pre and post work out for recovery. Let me know how you find it though, I know some non lifters who have lost a lot of weight doing it.
    Iโ€™ve also heard really good things about Keto, the results speak for themselves on almost all bodybuilding forums. With anything I think knowledge is key. I donโ€™t know enough about it TBH.
    Itโ€™s a tough one huh, you work so hard on a bulk that you want to keep as much muscle as possible during your cut.
    I personally like to slowly reduce calories about 100 per week, slowly bringing carbs and fats down at the same time.
    Itโ€™s finding what works best for you, and maintaining a good weight program.

Good luck on your cut bro ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

So while keto is pretty good for cutting, its not as good for bulking and/or strength; at least according to the current evidence out there. I follow Lyle McDonald's UD2 which pairs 4 days of very low carb (keto) with glycogen depletion and 2 days of super high carb. My keto days are always tough. My high carb days are wonderful. But even if you take a fat adapted person and carb load them, they will see big increases to their lifts. It's just carbs are much better to create explosive energy.

Ultimately, you need to figure out what is your priority and stick with the method that helps you address that the most.