Weight loss slowing down

Options
I have been using my fitness pal for several months now. I have managed to lose nearly 4stone. At the start it gave me 2900 to eat, i started walking and only ate around 2300 maximum. The past 5 weeks ive reduced my calorie intake to 2000 and exercise more.,i rode ny bike 13 km twice last week! I lost 11 pound, then 4 pound, but these past 3 weeks have not lost any 😞. Any advice would. Be greatly appreciated

Replies

• corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Are you following the MFP calorie input? If it gives you 2900 calories and you exercise say 400 calories then you are "supposed" to eat the net calories.

For example: 2900(goal cal)-2900(actual cal. met)+400(Exercise cal)=3300 calories should be ate a day.

That is assuming you actually burned 400 calories in that scenario, and your caloric intake was completely accurate.

Whenever I plateau with my weight loss, what seems to help is when I eat something high caloric. I may gain a few lbs but it will come off and kind of triggers more weight loss. But that's what works for me sometimes, I don't know if that's scientifically sound. But moral of this post is, you might not be eating enough depending on various personal factors.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Several months of dieting? May be time for a diet break. Eat at maintenance for a couple weeks to a month, then go back to a deficit. There's a really good diet break thread somewhere, but I don't have the link.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Yup, this is common. The closer you get to goal the slower you will lose because your new smaller body uses less energy to move and function. However, you could try a diet break which is eating at maintenance calories for a couple of weeks. I did one when my loss stalled for a couple of months after about a year of dieting and although I gained a couple of pounds once I went back to regular restriction I finally started losing again. There is a long thread about diet breaks on here if you search for it.
  • corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yup, this is common. The closer you get to goal the slower you will lose because your new smaller body uses less energy to move and function. However, you could try a diet break which is eating at maintenance calories for a couple of weeks. I did one when my loss stalled for a couple of months after about a year of dieting and although I gained a couple of pounds once I went back to regular restriction I finally started losing again. There is a long thread about diet breaks on here if you search for it.

Seems like the thread recently got bumped:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    jb33217 wrote: »
    I have been using my fitness pal for several months now. I have managed to lose nearly 4stone. At the start it gave me 2900 to eat, i started walking and only ate around 2300 maximum. The past 5 weeks ive reduced my calorie intake to 2000 and exercise more.,i rode ny bike 13 km twice last week! I lost 11 pound, then 4 pound, but these past 3 weeks have not lost any 😞. Any advice would. Be greatly appreciated

You've lost almost 56 pounds in a few months? Unless you have hundreds of pounds to lose, that's too fast, so it's good that it has slowed down.

With rapid weight loss, you're also going to lose lean muscle, and you don't want that.
  • jb33217
    jb33217 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    jb33217 wrote: »

You've lost almost 56 pounds in a few months? Unless you have hundreds of pounds to lose, that's too fast, so it's good that it has slowed down.

With rapid weight loss, you're also going to lose lean muscle, and you don't want that.

Ive been doing it for 6 months now. But reduced my calorie intake to 2000 and it sped up for a while,. I think reading these comments i need to maybe eat a little more, as my body is in too much of a defecit, for example i cycled 13 km which burned 1300 so in theory thats only 700 calories in, im a big guy was 187 now 167 so i thought it would drop off rapidly.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I agree with above suggestions. One Question -- when you set your goals, did you measure your body parts and log them? If so, remeasure them. If not, I recommend doing so. When I was active in MFP previously, I found I often lost inches when I plateau'd. Some due to weight loss, but others because of increased activity and weights. Most importantly, Hang in There ... You can do this!
  • jb33217
    Options
    cesse47 wrote: »
    I agree with above suggestions. One Question -- when you set your goals, did you measure your body parts and log them? If so, remeasure them. If not, I recommend doing so. When I was active in MFP previously, I found I often lost inches when I plateau'd. Some due to weight loss, but others because of increased activity and weights. Most importantly, Hang in There ... You can do this!

Thank you 👍 i havent measured any body parts to be honest. You could be right because i have been doing monthly photographs for my own records, and me and my wife said i look better and can see a big difference, so maybe i have lost, but not on. The scales.
  • jb33217
    Options
    Are you following the MFP calorie input? If it gives you 2900 calories and you exercise say 400 calories then you are "supposed" to eat the net calories.

For example: 2900(goal cal)-2900(actual cal. met)+400(Exercise cal)=3300 calories should be ate a day.

That is assuming you actually burned 400 calories in that scenario, and your caloric intake was completely accurate.

Whenever I plateau with my weight loss, what seems to help is when I eat something high caloric. I may gain a few lbs but it will come off and kind of triggers more weight loss. But that's what works for me sometimes, I don't know if that's scientifically sound. But moral of this post is, you might not be eating enough depending on various personal factors.

Thanks. I restricted my calories to 2000 from the recommended 2900 from mfp. I think im in too much of a defecit nowadays, as i can sometines burn 1200-1500calories with exercise. I think im going to have an increase calorie day, to get my metabolism going again, straight back on it the next day.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,900 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    If your weight as given is in kg.

You really do need to be thinking about a long time period of Caloric restriction that you will use to slowly build habits and strategies that will help you both achieve and maintain your weight loss long term.

We seldom get to real obese levels **just** because we enjoy take outs or all you can eat restaurants. Figuring yourself out, your triggers and reasons for over eating and developing long term coping and redirection strategies is a very important part of you not regaining the weight you lose.

Also, as has been seen, biggest loser type diet regiments tend not to succeed long term.

You don't need to make things too hard.

You CAN and WILL lose weight with an actual ~25% Caloric deficit while obese (20% if overweight or normal weight)

And you really do need to keep laying down ground work for the future.

There is no reason to be targeting 2k right now.

Developing long term eating strategies for a 2500 to 3000 Cal level would be both useful to you for the future and more than a sufficient deficit right now.

And personally I would be aiming for the *higher end of that* for right now so as to have room to reduce calories down the road.

And I would also keep an eye on my exercise totals and try to engage in activities and exercise that I could see myself continuing with long term.

If you are talking in pounds as opposed to kilograms:

Sl o w d o w n

Weight loss is part A. Part B continues till you die.

Now matter how long part A is... I sure hope part B proves longer.

What have you done so far to prepare and position yourself for part B?

Read the first post in the refeeds and diet breaks thread and use the concepts to bring up your calories closer to the MFP suggested levels instead of the double over restriction levels you've chosen to apply.

You don't have the fat reserves to support a 50%+ deficit (2900 suggested by MFP after you dialled in 2lbs a week means tdee estimated at 3900 + exercise, so well over 4k and you're eating 2k). A 20% (true and actual) deficit would be the highest you should be aiming for at your current weight.
  • chubbycatcorner
    chubbycatcorner Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    belleflop wrote: »
    Seems normal slow down to me. If your primary goal is to lose weight eat at caloric deficit consistently and cut back on exercise frequency and intensity. I know a lot of people think they need to ramp up exercise routines as their weight loss slows but it actually has the opposite affect if you are already eating in a caloric deficit.

So eat less, exercise less?
  • jb33217
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    If your weight as given is in kg.

You really do need to be thinking about a long time period of Caloric restriction that you will use to slowly build habits and strategies that will help you both achieve and maintain your weight loss long term.

We seldom get to real obese levels **just** because we enjoy take outs or all you can eat restaurants. Figuring yourself out, your triggers and reasons for over eating and developing long term coping and redirection strategies is a very important part of you not regaining the weight you lose.

Also, as has been seen, biggest loser type diet regiments tend not to succeed long term.

You don't need to make things too hard.

You CAN and WILL lose weight with an actual ~25% Caloric deficit while obese (20% if overweight or normal weight)

And you really do need to keep laying down ground work for the future.

There is no reason to be targeting 2k right now.

Developing long term eating strategies for a 2500 to 3000 Cal level would be both useful to you for the future and more than a sufficient deficit right now.

And personally I would be aiming for the *higher end of that* for right now so as to have room to reduce calories down the road.

And I would also keep an eye on my exercise totals and try to engage in activities and exercise that I could see myself continuing with long term.

If you are talking in pounds as opposed to kilograms:

Sl o w d o w n

Weight loss is part A. Part B continues till you die.

Now matter how long part A is... I sure hope part B proves longer.

What have you done so far to prepare and position yourself for part B?

Read the first post in the refeeds and diet breaks thread and use the concepts to bring up your calories closer to the MFP suggested levels instead of the double over restriction levels you've chosen to apply.

You don't have the fat reserves to support a 50%+ deficit (2900 suggested by MFP after you dialled in 2lbs a week means tdee estimated at 3900 + exercise, so well over 4k and you're eating 2k). A 20% (true and actual) deficit would be the highest you should be aiming for at your current weight.

Thank you some very useful info. I mean kg for my weight, ive lost 20 kg. Ive made some great changes, which have been important to my weight loss. Ive been doing my 10,000 steps daily and generally eat really well, lots of protein and veg. I will try 2500 and plenty of weights and cardio, see if that helps for a sustainable weight loss. I am in the best place mentally with food and exercise i have ever been.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You lost 15 lbs in 5 weeks, so that's 3 lb per week. It's a great pace. Expect it to slow down.