Should I do weight training or not?

Options
2»

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    i think strength training is a good thing. however, i do not lift. i prefer bodyweight work. the results are not as dramatic but lifting... never got the bug
  • FariasMomOf3
    FariasMomOf3 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone☺ Im new on the lifting area. I used to workout at home doing some insanity workouts or running on treadmill. I got a gym membership a week ago, my goal is to lift weights to get tonner thighs and gluteus with out getting bigger 🙃 I am a shorty 5'2" and I already have big things and buns too. I dont want them to get bigger just burn the fat and gain muscle, lifting weights have always catch my attention I feel its something I want to do☺ Im just over thinking what if it doesn't burn the fat on my thighs and it just make them bigger😕 Im confused

You don’t have big thighs, you’re just petite, and lifting won’t make you huge. You look like you have a great figure to me!

Thank you😊 and yes I will be lifting. I have read a lot about how it changes your body, and I do want to build muscle and tight things up😉
  • FariasMomOf3
    FariasMomOf3 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i think strength training is a good thing. however, i do not lift. i prefer bodyweight work. the results are not as dramatic but lifting... never got the bug

Yes I have been doing body weight, HIIT workouts, running. And I have some what a athletic shape, but after 3 pregnancies gain ning n losing weigh 😏 I thought if I lift a little heavy weight can help me to tighten my body especially my lover body. I will go for it😉
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I started at the beginning of the year and I'm so glad I did. It's done wonders for my confidence in a way all the running and cardio didn't. I'm definitely not bulky as a result, even though I've doubled most of the weights I lifted at the beginning.
  • Mattripp
    Mattripp Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Definitely lift, you wont get huge. That takes years. stay consistent, get a good program and you won’t look back. 👍🏻
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You won't get bulky. Strength training/lifting heavy will help tighten up. And help burn calories at rest. Women start losing muscle mass after age 30. And being strong feels good!
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I'd like to echo the sentiment that it won't make you bulky, but can I say one thing? I looked at your photo, and your hip and thigh area aren't big at all. You're quite tiny to begin with. You have a very similar looking bone structure to me (although I'm currently not in as great shape as you are!). A few decades ago, I lifted weights regularly, and although I started out with a fat bum and thighs, all that weight training did was to give me beautiful, shapely, lean thighs. And I lost a lot of fat in that area. If you want to do it, do it!

Edited, because I also meant to add: weight training doesn't just help us appearance-wise. Strong muscles support your posture and help to protect your back (assuming you're doing weight training properly and being safe), weight training also helps to prevent loss of bone density, and it means when you're an elderly woman, you'll be more mobile and independent. In my old age, I want to be able to sit down on the toilet and get back up, without assistance from anyone! If you start this excellent habit and keep it up, it'll set you up very well for life.
  • LouNicholls1
    LouNicholls1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a girl on 5-3-1 always wanting to push myself heavier I would say go for it.

Its transformed my figure totally.
    My thighs were pretty big to start with but not with muscle and they haven't reduced but I don't think they ever will so id rather them look toned and shapely than fear looking 'bulky'.

Girls don't get bulky by accident. We just don't have the ability to!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    strength training has many benefits that don't revolve around what you look like. Yes in my opinion, you should. And I would just not worry about "getting too big" that won't happen on accident.