Exercise recommendations

Options
I’m just getting back into exercise and I want some recommendations/inspiration! I have a gym membership that I’d like to use, but I’m also open to home workouts. Main goal is weight loss with muscle gain! Favorite apps or exercise regimens?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I dislike gyms, so I just walk, dance and play.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    The routines that got me started and kept me going were youtube videos by Jessica Smith. link below is to her site with breakdown categories so you can decide what you are looking for. I found i need the structure of a class/video setting to make me exercise properly. Otherwise I give up on exercise sets too soon

http://jessicasmithtv.com/exercise-videos/
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much weight you'd like to lose, it's very hard to gain any appreciable amount of muscle while losing weight. You just want to make sure your not losing muscle along with the fat. :)

I do a lot of walking/biking..... favorite app is Zombies, Run.

I'm just getting into strength training now.....

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,229 Member
    Options
    The magic is in finding something you enjoy so much that you'd do it even if it weren't good for you . . . and none of us can tell you what you enjoy. ;)

Long steady-state cardio burns the most calories (as long as you have time to devote, at the highest intensity you can sustain without being so fatigued that you drag through daily life and burn fewer calories in that (big) portion of your calorie burn).

But that may not be the most fun, and any theoretically sub-optimal exercise you actually do will deliver more benefits than a theoretically ideal one that you skip whenever there's a half-decent excuse. ;)

So, for calorie-burning, just try stuff until you find something you like. Me, I like rowing (on water) and spinning, but others like other things. There are so many options: Dance, martial arts, roller skating, kayaking, gym cardio machine stuff, biking, running, disc golf, regular golf, swimming, group classes, tennis, hiking, rock climbing . . . . and so on.

When you try something new, give it a fair shot (a whole session of classes, several tries of individual activities, etc.). It's normal to feel awkward and incapable the first time we try something new that's even slightly complicated. But things that are easy right away tend to be more boring in the long run, while complicated ones can stay more interesting longer. It's worth working through the initial new-person awkwardness before rejecting an activity (as long as it isn't actually injuring you, of course.)

Best way to gain muscle is to eat in a slight surplus and weight train. People who are new to weight training can maybe gain a little muscle even at weight-loss calories, and certainly can gain a lot of strength (through neuromuscular adaptation, which is recruiting and using existing muscles more efficiently), as well as looking better. But in a broad, general sense, losing weight and gaining muscle are opposing goals. During weight loss, it's more realistic to think in terms of maintaining existing muscle (a very worthwhile goal), and gaining strength. Any muscle mass gain is a happy bonus.

The definitive thread here about strength training programs is the link below, and it's very informative:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Some cardio-like activities can have some strength benefits as well . . . but won't accomplish as much or do so as fast as actual strength training.

Best wishes! :)
  • nancyvazquez7796
    nancyvazquez7796 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I also do not like Gyms. Germaphobe, sorry to those who do. I take long walks...and I use a Stationary Bike at home. Build a Repertoire of what you want. Lots of things you can find on YouTube. Be cautious though not to hurt yourself.
  • mazurkiepolish
    mazurkiepolish Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Whitney Simmons posts amazing workouts on YouTube involving weights and HIIT workouts in and out of the gym. You should check her out!!
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    Depending on how much weight you'd like to lose, it's very hard to gain any appreciable amount of muscle while losing weight. You just want to make sure your not losing muscle along with the fat. :)

I do a lot of walking/biking..... favorite app is Zombies, Run.

I'm just getting into strength training now.....

As someone else said, it really is about finding things you like. One thing you can do is think about the things you liked doing as a kid and try those things. If there are things you'd like to try, try them. If you don't like them, all you've lost is a few calories for your effort. 😁😂

As someone who wants to be a runner but always thought I hated it, if you think you might want to be a runneri would suggest the Zombies, Run! 5k which is the app that leads into the other suggested. I've just finished the first week. I actually look forward to doing it and although it sounds corny when they're encouraging you, it actually is encouraging. Also, no matter what anyone else says, go at your own pace and stay SLOW. If you repeatedly have both feet off the ground at the same time, you are running, regardless of speed. And this next one goes for pretty much every workout regimen you begin: be the tortise, not the hare. You will eventually get faster and stronger. Get used to the habit, learn to do things with correct form, and work on enjoying the process. Good luck!
  • Seraxil
    Seraxil Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you’re looking for something quite intense I enjoy the 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels. I have the dvd but I believe it’s also on YouTube. It only takes 20 mins and we can nearly always fit that it! Plus no matter how beat you feel, it will be over soon!

If you have access to a pool, swimming’s also great. Enjoyable (for some?), Easier on the joints and a full body workout 😊

I have also been enjoying a brisk walk with the dog! He’s enjoying two long walks a day too 😂.

Have fun and find something you love!