How often should I weigh myself?

Options
ninjacakes
ninjacakes Posts: 24 Member
I've done weekly, daily, monthly. Taken averages etc...
When/how should I weigh myself?

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    It is very individual. If you get upset with your weight increasing because of normal fluctuations or become obsessed with weighing then you are better off weighing monthly and using other measure to gauge whether you are on the right path. If you understand that weight loss is not linear and expect and accept normal fluctuations or if you are fascinated by numbers then daily is more suited. If you are somewhere in between then weekly might work best.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ninjacakes wrote: »

whichever of those you prefer...
  • ninjacakes
    Options
    Thank you!
  • RSr09
    RSr09 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I prefer it every few days. Just got the app and excited
  • ninjacakes
    Options
    Thank you. Good luck!
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I log weekly, same clothes, same time of day. But if I find I'm leaning towards being tempted, I step on the scales, look at the number, and it usually helps me stay focused and away from temptations.

There have been several studies released recently that say that weighing daily can be a good weight loss, weight maintenance tool. It's a way of maintaining focus on eating habits and holding yourself accountable. However, if daily weigh-ins cause anxiety, then change to a weekly weigh-in.

I think it's a matter of what works best for you. I wouldn't go longer than 1 week between weigh-ins. We just need to remember that we're going to have fluctuations on a daily basis. We may plateau. We may have a small gain. The main thing is to stay focused and on plan.
  • ninjacakes
    Options
    cesse47 wrote: »
    I log weekly, same clothes, same time of day. But if I find I'm leaning towards being tempted, I step on the scales, look at the number, and it usually helps me stay focused and away from temptations.

There have been several studies released recently that say that weighing daily can be a good weight loss, weight maintenance tool. It's a way of maintaining focus on eating habits and holding yourself accountable. However, if daily weigh-ins cause anxiety, then change to a weekly weigh-in.

I think it's a matter of what works best for you. I wouldn't go longer than 1 week between weigh-ins. We just need to remember that we're going to have fluctuations on a daily basis. We may plateau. We may have a small gain. The main thing is to stay focused and on plan.

Mine goes up down so much, almost by 5lbs some weeks, but aware its mostly water retention at those times. Just interested in what others do. I tend to do every other day
  • placecathie
    placecathie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also log weekly first think in morning before i eat! As mentioned above same clothes.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I log every morning post toilet visit in the nude. I then track on a spreadsheet and average it out over the week.
  • OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    ninjacakes wrote: »

Until I get a digital scale, I do once a week. Since we're doing this as a family, it works best to do it once a weekon the same day, in the morning, right after you pee and before you eat. If you can poop ahead of weighing all the better. The average person carries between 2 and 5 pounds of residual poop, so you may want to deduct from the day's before eating by waiting til after you toidy.

Anyway, when I find a suitable digital scale, I will have to weigh every day because I have to watch sodium and water gain due to health issues. But I was told by the nutritionist that once a week is sufficient for most otherwise healthy people.
  • deisebayer
    deisebayer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I heard that women should weigh 1 week after end of period... I noticed that weight varies a lot during periods.
  • Junebug2022
    Junebug2022 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    All day
    Every day
  • voicewithsara
    voicewithsara Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I want to weigh in the same time every day since my goal is 10 pound loss.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    At first I did every day, now I do weekly on the same accurate scale first thing in the morning