ShakeWeight

Options
Has anyone ever used one of these before? I'm thinking about getting one but not too sure whether it's just a gimick and it doesn't actually work. The only bit I really want to shape and make a real difference in, our my arms, so if people have seen a difference with using this, I would be interested to hear about it. Apparently 6 mins a day is more than enough to see a difference!?!?

Replies

• fitness_superstar
    Options
    don't get it. it's just a gimmick.
  • jah7700
    jah7700 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I can't be much help because I personally will never use a shake weight.... I think most men probably won't ;-)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It is a gimmick, just get some dumbbells and lift those instead
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but given the price - you could buy some small free weights of various size and just do some arm workouts to get results.
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    OK - I have to admit that this looks like the silliest thing in the world to me.

But my boyfriend's sister said that she used it as directed and was very sore in her arms and even abs (?) from using it. I don't think she used it regularly enough to see major results.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    The info commercial is HILARIOUS!

I would think that anything that claims to do the work for you wont really give you the results... But that is just my opinion.
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Its a gimmick
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I played with it in the store... It only weighs 2.5 pounds! I felt nothing when I did it, other than silly... Which sadly doesn't help with muscle tone.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've tried it and you do get a slight burn with the shoulder moves but really, a quick 6 minute workout with a light weight isn't going to do too much for you in the long run. You'll be much better off to spend the money on some 3-5 pound hand weights and a good workout DVD (I'm partial to Jililan's 30 Day Shred and No More Trouble Zones).
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Just watch the southpark episode dedicated to this....lol HILARIOUS! But in all actuality, I doubt it does anything that free weights and dedication can't do for you:)
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Dont waste your hard earned money on crap like that. I promise you, those are paid fitness models reading from a script. I would swear by it too if they paid me enough money. Just because it says on the screen "actual customer" doesn't mean they are. My neighbor is a fitness model/actress and is in several commercials and we always laugh when we see "Michelle, an actual customer".....

so, the only thing that really works is hard work in the gym. Short cuts don't work...... You have to put in the time if you want the results. Use real dumbbells, not some gimmick that makes you look like you are tossing off a moose. :bigsmile:

Just my 2 cents....
  • zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just can't get past the commercials. And the Saturday Night Live ShakeWeight parody is HILARIOUS.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i have one (impulse buy!) dont do it. Big time gimmick
  • hstallings13
    Options
    I think it has the possibility to work, but you have to have a strong core or you could end up hurting yourself. If your back and abs aren't strong you could hurt them doing the exercises. My suggestion would be to get something like the 30 day shred that does circut training....it sculpts you down all over...arms is just one of the areas.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My friend got them, so i tried them... honestly i can't take the thing seriously.

Dont get them... they dont do crap
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Just watch the southpark episode dedicated to this....lol HILARIOUS! But in all actuality, I doubt it does anything that free weights and dedication can't do for you:)

lmao, that episode had me rolling on the floor.. All the more i cant take them seriously
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I've seen amazing results using my boyfriend's "shake weight"....but then again...we just might be talking about two different things...
  • mariam446
    Options
    You lost 24pounds! Great! I lost 20 so far. Keep up the great work. Hey about the shake weight,, you can just make a fist and shake your fists in the air. Using weights may give you aching muscles. I think its a waste of money. :indifferent:
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Use real dumbbells, not some gimmick that makes you look like you are tossing off a moose. :bigsmile:
    \

Hahaha, thanks for that mental image! That will keep me randomly laughing throughout the day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money. It is a complete POS. You could get the same workout by shaking a can of beans.