Help me to understand

Options
I have lost 62 lbs but only lost one inch on my waist. I still have 137 pounds left to lose. 🤔 Why am I not losing more inches???????????!!

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me when I first started losing and had a long way to go (I had 125+ to lose). It was suggested to me (and makes sense to me) that I was first losing fat around my organs internally so it didn't necessarily show up with a tape measure.

Hang in there and congrats on your great start!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I have lost 62 lbs but only lost one inch on my waist. I still have 137 pounds left to lose. 🤔 Why am I not losing more inches???????????!!

@Fluffy_Jelly
    First: congratulations on 62lbs!!! That's a lot
    Second: we can't choose where we lose fat. The human body doesn't work that way. Our body decides where the excess fat will be lost first, and last.
    Third: the bigger you are, the harder it is to measure yourself accurately. It's best to have someone else measure you for a more accurate measurement. I tried it on myself, when I measure my thigh vs my friend: it's off by almost an inch, even with repeated measurements, mine are all over the place. Bending and twisting to measure yourself can skew measurement.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    In addition to walking, I am doing some "waist exercises" which I think will help tone my waist, so that as I go down in weight, I will be able to see a difference.

Not trying to be mean, just give you current info so you’re not misinformed. You can’t “tone” or “spot reduce” with workouts or certain exercises. Fat loss is linear. While you may be genetically predisposed to lose it quicker in certain areas, as you lose weight, it will comes from all parts of the body. So keep doing your exercise to strengthen, but it won’t “tone” anything.

Yes, I've read that. But I think what I am doing is strengthening those muscles. I'm not counting on it to reduce my weight in those areas, but once I lose the weight, I hope those muscles will be stronger. I'm counting on the deficit of calories to take care of the fat all over.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Because it came off elsewhere. Arms, neck, face, thighs, there are lots of places fat gets stored. I tend to notice weight loss in my shoulders and face before anywhere else.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I’ll second the measuring is hard thing. I’ve lost 38lbs, and my waist still measures the same as when I’d only lost 10lbs. It is not the same size. I know this because shirts fit differently especially regarding my belly. But whatever I did wrong it’s the same “size” (except it’s not. Lol). I dropped a size in clothes but in measuring tapes I haven’t changed at all. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Fluffy_Jelly
    Fluffy_Jelly Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Your advice helped a lot!