What is this net stuff? I am confused... :(

Options
I am finding that I am buring around 800-1000 calories a work out. I work out 5 times a week, 3 times of those are weights and cardio after, the other days are just cardio. I am confused with this NET stuff. It says when I enter in my calories I burned that I earned for calories to eat? HUH? I can't possibly eat another 1000 calories a day. I am having a hard enough time trying to fit in the 1880 I am supposed to have right now. Can some explain to me in "laimens terms" what this means. Thank you in advance.

Heather

Replies

• skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    when you exercise, you are burning off calories; necessary nutrients you need to survive. burning off 800-1000 cals when you are eating 1880 calories is the equilvalent of eating 0-800 calories in a day, which puts your body in starvation mode. (under 1200 cals). you have to eat back those exercise calories in order to keep your metabolism working, or else you will stop losing weight.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind above anyone's response is that this is ultimately your decision to eat the extra calories or not. Basically when you exercise you are given the calories you have burned to eat a healthier amount of food. Personally I don't eat them back and I lose weight just fine.. but for some who are smaller than I am (I am 257 lbs) and burning many more calories than I am.. they eat them back and they continue to lose weight just fine also. I would suggest listening to your body and as long as you're getting 1200 calories a day.. if you're hungry after exercising then eat something.. but if not don't force yourself.
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    when you exercise, you are burning off calories; necessary nutrients you need to survive. burning off 800-1000 cals when you are eating 1880 calories is the equilvalent of eating 0-800 calories in a day, which puts your body in starvation mode. (under 1200 cals). you have to eat back those exercise calories in order to keep your metabolism working, or else you will stop losing weight.

There is no such thing as starvation mode... It's a myth.

Eat when you're hungry only until you're not hungry. If you're not getting headaches or feeling hungry then don't worry about eating anything back.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    RachelSRoach1 I don't think this is an eat-them-back argument yet...

Heather, if you're eating 1800 and burning 1000, you're effectively only eating 800, which isn't enough.

Try eating calorie-dense foods like avocado, peanut butter, olive oil etc, within your daily meals. Make sure that you're eating a minimum NET of 1200 cals, preferrably more. Good luck! x
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Eat when you're hungry only until you're not hungry. If you're not getting headaches or feeling hungry then don't worry about eating anything back.

She has said she's eating a net of 800cals a day.... that's not enough.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Bad advise. Hunger is not the best indication of nutrition requirements. Like others have said if you only eat 1800 and burn 1000, is like eating 800 and not exercising as 1800-1000 = 800- 0. And 800 cals/day is not enough for anyone. If you cannot eat all of the burned calories try for at least half of them.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    hey, i am talking from experience here. i used to eat around 800 calories a day and then i started losing my hair and having a low heart rate and low blood pressure. my doctor told me to stop running or else i might have a heart attack.

if that isnt starvation mode, then WHAT IS?! make sure you eat enough to support yourself.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I agree,especially as you burn so many cals workign out. if you cant eat back all of them, make sure you are netting at least 1200 cals
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I eat 800 calories a day and I'm fine.. Calories isn't the only factor in diet.. Good carbs and protein matter as well. If you're low in calories and high in carbs then most people don't feel the need to eat more. Besides, it's actually worse for you to binge eat (stuff yourself) because that WILL make you gain weight. BTW, I got this advice from an actual doctor. It's what worked for me.

Anyhow if you're really concerned, look at your diet and try to figure out what foods you can eat alternatively to get you the nutrients you need, even if it doesn't add to your calorie goal.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options

Your metabolism slows down if you are under your recommended caloric intake. http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2007/11/is-starvation-mode-a-myth-no-its-very-real-and-here-is-the-proof.php
  • heatherhicksfakih
    heatherhicksfakih Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like I am hungry though... ? So do I just leave it or excerise less?
  • heatherhicksfakih
    Options
    but this is what i don't get...I am eating the 1880 calories they are saying to eat, but then I burn them off...but I am not hungry enough to eat anymore...? So I should be eating more calories throught he day then if I am going to burn them off at night? I am only following what MFP is telling me to do lol. This is so confusing.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I eat 800 calories a day and I'm fine.. Calories isn't the only factor in diet.. Good carbs and protein matter as well. If you're low in calories and high in carbs then most people don't feel the need to eat more. Besides, it's actually worse for you to binge eat (stuff yourself) because that WILL make you gain weight. BTW, I got this advice from an actual doctor. It's what worked for me.

Anyhow if you're really concerned, look at your diet and try to figure out what foods you can eat alternatively to get you the nutrients you need, even if it doesn't add to your calorie goal.

@ lmaharj, BS, if you are only eating 800 cals/day you are borderline anorexic. Unless you your 4'5" 80lbs, 800 cals is not enough to function on, soon your nails will get weak, your hair will fall out, and you will lose a large % of your lean muscle if you keep that up.
  • heatherhicksfakih
    Options
    or eric I basically have to find a way to add another 400 calories to my diet each day if I am buring max 1000 calories a work out?
  • erickirb
    Options
    but this is what i don't get...I am eating the 1880 calories they are saying to eat, but then I burn them off...but I am not hungry enough to eat anymore...? So I should be eating more calories throught he day then if I am going to burn them off at night? I am only following what MFP is telling me to do lol. This is so confusing.

If you know you are going to burn calories at night you can space them out throughout the day.

You also don't have to eat more food to eat more calories. Just make different food choices. Eat calorie dense snacks such as nuts, seeds and dehydrated fruit. Eat full fat or higher fat versions of food (no diet foods). Add olive oil to soups or sauces. Have a glass of juice in place of 1 glass of water. etc.
  • heatherhicksfakih
    Options
    I can assure I am not borderline anorexic...I am 242 pounds, but not hungry after my work outs... :)
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    "OK, this will be long. Please read it if you are confused. Disclaimer: I am not a dietician or a doctor, just a successful loser and maintainer, who has consulted both doctors and dieticians.

Question #1:

Should I eat all my calories?

Yes. MFP is already figuring a deficit for you to lose weight. This deficit is based on what you need to eat based on your everyday activity, not counting exercise. In the end, it's all about "net calories" (you can view yours under reports)

Example: you need to eat 2,000 calories to maintain your current weight (random number)
    MFP will tell you to eat 1,500 to lose one pound per week (500x7=3500=one pound loss).

Let's say you exercise, and burn 500 additional calories.
    UH-OH, now you are at a 1,000 calorie a day deficit. You need 2,000 calories to maintian, are already restricted to 1500, so now your net calories are a 1,000 a day. This is starvation central. Your body, which is very good at keeping you alive, will store and save calories. You WILL stop losing weight. You WILL want to throw your scale out the window.

Eat your exercise calories. At least eat most of them.

Question #2:
    I'm eating 1200 calories, I feel like crap and I'm not losing weight. What gives?

Answer:
    Run, don't walk, to "tools" and use the BMR calculator. Please, please, please, eat at least your BMR calories every day. You might lose weight more slowly, but you will still lose, and you will not longer feel a sudden urge to fall over every time you do, well, anything.

Question #3:
    I'm doing "everything right" and the scale won't move.

Answer #1: The scale is the devil. Step away from the scale. Buy a tape measure, notice how your clothes are (probably) fitting better. Muscle is more dense than fat, and takes up less space on your body. More muscle on your body will make the scale freeze or (gasp) move upward.

Answer #2: You're not being honest. In order for this to work, you must record every morsel of food that goes in your body. Also, if you ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes and barely break a sweat and can still chatter on your cell phone (OK, that's my personal gym pet peeve) then you're probably not working "vigorously". Don't overestimate your exercise calories. (this was a big mistake I made in the past.)

Answer #3: Your body might be re-adjusting. How you feel is the most important mark of progress. It's very easy to fixate on numbers, but feeling better really should be its own reward.

Question #4:
    So, if I'm eating my exercise calories, what's the point of exercise?

Answer: (warning: extremely opinionated answer ahead)
    You don't. You can lose weight through diet alone. But, then you will be skinny and flabby. Is a model skinnier than me? OH, YES! Is she healthier than me? probably NOT. She couldn't survive the hour-long spin class that I take three times a week. Trust me. Her skin is a mess, she smokes, and she looks like crap in person. (this is a generalization. I don't hate models, but this is their lifestyle. . .I used to be a "dresser" at shows, and I saw a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff.

Does that help? Please say it does.flowerforyou"
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    "Hello Folks,

So often people personal message me asking me if I think their calories are correct. It seems that people think there is some magical formula that only a very few can figure out. I see so many people on here just popping in numbers and following them heedless of what the numbers mean. I feel it's ULTRA important to know why MFP (and me, and a few others) gives you certain numbers. To that end I will try to empower YOU to be able to understand the basics about calories, calorie deficits, and why we recommend eating exercise calories. With this knowledge you should be able to easily figure out what your calories should be at for reasonable, healthy weight loss. So without further ado, lets get started.

1st things first, a few givens must be stated:

-Everyone's body is slightly different. ALWAYS keep in mind your numbers may not be exactly what MFP thinks simply because everyone's bodies all burn energy at a different rate. Tweaking may be needed.

- MFP's goals wizard is a "dumb" tool. That means it doesn't care whether a specific goal is healthy and/or right for you, it just subtracts the goal deficit from projected maintenance calories. This means that even if you shouldn't be trying for a 2 lb a week loss, MFP won't care, it will still try to help you get there.

-1200 calories is a generic number. It's not right for everyone. It's a baseline minimum given out as a floor by MFP based on prior research by the medical community. NOT everyone will need a minimum of 1200, very small people can go under, and bigger people need more.

OK with those facts firmly set in your mind (please go back and re-read the givens until you have them firmly planted in your skull!), we can continue. Figuring out your perfect deficit isn't magic, it's a few simple formula's base on some basic, worldwide standards, and generally with slight modefication, will work for just about anyone who (besides weight) is generally healthy.

Here's what you need:
    Height, weight, age, activity level, sex

NOTE: activity level isn't as mysterious as it sounds. If you have a desk job, and do very little walking throughout the day and don't really perform any sports or physical activities, then you are sedentary, if you do some walking every day (or at least 4 days a week) or other light activity for at least 30 minutes cumulative at least 4 times a week, you are lightly active. If you do 60 minutes of light activity 5 days a week or do some kind of sport that requires walking or light jogging (say swimming or mailman or warehouse employee) then you are active, If you do a physically demanding activity (one that makes you sweat) for 4 days a week or more and for more than 1 hour a day, you are very active (like a coach that runs drills or you play volleyball). When in doubt, go down 1 level, you'd rather burn more than you think than less.

With all these numbers you can generate your BMI. Now I realize BMI is flawed, but for what we're doing it's good enough. After years on here, and doing lots and lots of research, I've been able to associate general BMI ranges with approximate goal levels. This works for about 80 to 85% of people out there (there's always a few that are outside the curve).

So now we can figure out where your goal should be.
    Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

With this quick guide you can figure out your goal rather easily. I know many people will say "I can't eat my exercise calories, I gain weight when I do". Well I have news for you, that's not correct. I submit this, if you eat your exercise calories and gain weight 1 of 3 things happened:
    1 you were previously in starvation mode, and you upped your calories, and had an immediate weight gain, that's normal, to be expected, and necessary to get your body on track. Give it a month, that will stop, and you, once again, will begin to lose, but this time, in a healthy manner.
    2 you incorrectly calculated something, either your exercise calories, your calorie intake, or you put in to large of a goal. Go back and check all your numbers.
    3 you haven't given it enough time to work. This site promotes HEALTHY weight loss people. Healthy weight loss doesn't happen in days or weeks, it takes months and years. Each change you make in how you eat needs a month or more to work, be patient, give it time. It will happen.

And to everyone who has a trainer that doesn't agree with eating your exercise calories. I also submit this: In 90% of the cases (and I have talked to a LOT of trainers about this exact topic) they actually DO agree with this method, you just explained it wrong.
    Just saying to a trainer "should I eat my exercise calories?" isn't enough, you have to explain to them that MFP already generates a deficit prior to any exercise, therefore the deficit will remain whether you exercise or not. Once you give them that idea, and you are relatively sure they understand the concept then I'll bet they change their tune.

I hope this helps, it's pretty straight forward if you've been here a while, and to you new guys, I recommend going to the message boards link, clicking on the "general diet and weight loss" area, and clicking on those first few posts that have the little mouse trap next to them, they are sticky and will always be there, and are a wealth of knowledge about this site, exercise calories, starvation mode...etc.

regards,

-Banks "
  • erickirb
    Options
    or eric I basically have to find a way to add another 400 calories to my diet each day if I am buring max 1000 calories a work out?

Yes, the minimum you would want is 1200 Net, so if you burn 1000, you should be eating 2200, assuming you are calculating calories burned correctly. If you are not using an HRM I would only eat back 60-75% of the calories burned that MFP or a machine tells you you burned.

So if MFP tells you 1000, I would not eat back more than 750 of them, so if you ate 1800, you would only need an additional 150 to get you to 1200 Net (1800-750+150)
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options

I have to disagree...there IS a starvation mode. I have watched my mother struggle with anorexia much of my life. I am watching a friend do so now :(