Are the numbers important!?

Options
Question: May be a silly one but I stay under my calories I would say 92% of the time (unless special occasion) but I tend to go over on my allotted sugar for the day, sodium and sometimes even fat. I'm so confused, what's most important for my weight loss....calorie counting or each individual category? I want to do well but its hard watching so many numbers.....I feel like a stock broker for weight loss! :noway: HELP!!!

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    This is the order of importance to lose weight steadily and keep the weight off with minimal plateau'ing and fluctuation.

1. Calorie counting - Calorie intake needs to be at a 20-40% deficit under your TDEE (BMR + Activity Level)
    2. Macronutrient intake (Proteins, Fats, Carbs) needs to be at their minimums based on #1. Protein and Fat minimums matter, carb minimums don't.
    3. Sodium intake is next. (Weight fluctuation)
    4. Cutting out processed foods, refined sugars, etc. They go hand in hand with sodium (processed foods).
    5. Exercise

Remember that eating your calorie deficit is of utmost importance FIRST, then you make sure you are eating your minimum protein and fat macros.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Sodium doesn't cause you to gain weight, exactly. It causes your body to retain water, which shows on the scale but isn't a real gain (or loss when you flush it out).

However, if you have tendencies toward high blood pressure or heart disease, you should really watch your sodium. I find that if I eat healthy, whole foods, I can't even meet my minimum recommended sodium. Some days, without trying, I'm below 1,000 mg. My highest last week was around 2,000 and I averages 1,600. I'm allowed 2,300.
  • FluffyLadii
    FluffyLadii Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thx guys! What are some healthy foods to get those proteins and fats you need daily?