Keto

Options
I want to start a ketogenic diet but haven't a clue where to begin. Any tips? Thanks

Replies

• arlzixxx
    arlzixxx Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to start it if you know nothing about it? Id be spending time researching any potential future ways of eating so I knew what was involved, pros/cons, suggested foods etc.

It was suggested by a doctor to help control my blood sugars and help with my colitis
  • arlzixxx
    Options
    Thank you Mistyboggs I used to do intermittent fasting but stopped when I was pregnant. I'm hoping the keto diet will control blood sugars and help other conditions. What kind of meats are low carb? And are all veg (except potatoes,carrots) safe? Thank you
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I just sent this to a friend last night who wanted ideas for meals. Hope this helps!! ♥

I like to keep things simple! Meat and veggies are the base of my diet. Nuts and cheese in small portions. I'm trying to avoid but butter and cream cheese for now as I have trouble controlling myself with these.

For snacks I would have mushroom, cucumber, cauliflower or broccoli with cheese, cold meats or nuts, or a combination of those. With tea!! Lol I drink lots of tea to keep me full and busy when I need to!

No artificial sweeteners! I ditched stuff that contains added sugar like ketchup. Just coconut oil, butter and heavy cream with a dash of cinnamon in my morning coffee. No sugar or replacement in my coffee and that's huge for me!

You should watch this video, it really helped me not to overcomplicate everything lol.

https://youtu.be/EeOvRGsPPpo
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    arlzixxx wrote: »
    Thank you Mistyboggs I used to do intermittent fasting but stopped when I was pregnant. I'm hoping the keto diet will control blood sugars and help other conditions. What kind of meats are low carb? And are all veg (except potatoes,carrots) safe? Thank you

Meat is protein. It will have varying levels of fat. No carbs.

I love vegies and have to restrict my intake of even non starchy vegies to limit myself to keto levels of carbs. I can't fit in fruit or dairy like yoghurt or milk (probably could if I didn't like vegetables so much).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The book, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution has a lot of info on how to reverse insulin resistance by eating keto. He recommends about 6 g total carbs for both lunch and dinner, and as high as 12 g carbs for dinner. No snacks.

When I started, I first cut back on added sugars and then refined grains (candy, baked goods, noodles, cereals, etc). Then I cut out dried fruits, tropical fruits (raisins, pineapple, mango, banana, grapes) and really limited my temperate fruits (apples, oranges, nectarines). I also cut or really limited my root vegetables like potatoes, yams, turnips, carrots, onions, beets, etc.

That leaves meats, eggs, seafood, nuts, seeds, olives, coconuts, veggies, full fat dairy, and some low sugar fruit like berries.

I basically tried to stay under my carb goal (often 20-30g for those with IR), try to exceed my moderate protein goal (often 20-35%) and fill in the rest with fat to hunger - eat less fat if not hungry.

The Low Carber Dailyand Keto M?fP groups have great stickies for newbies. Good luck.
  • arlzixxx
    Options
    Thanks very much for all the responses they are really helpful :smiley: I had meat and veg yesterday for dinner but I ate loads of peas! I didn't realize they were high carb until I logged it but otherwise I've been fine, I hope! How do I know if my body is in ketosis? Sorry for all the silly questions. I really want to lead a healthier lifestyle :blush:
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for all the responses they are really helpful :smiley: I had meat and veg yesterday for dinner but I ate loads of peas! I didn't realize they were high carb until I logged it but otherwise I've been fine, I hope! How do I know if my body is in ketosis? Sorry for all the silly questions. I really want to lead a healthier lifestyle :blush:

I have never checked to see if I was in ketosis however I get a funny taste in my mouth.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    If you want to find out if your body is creating Ketones, you can buy cheap pee sticks from any Pharmacy which will show if your are excreting Ketones in your urine. Keep in mind though, they are basically like a pregnancy test, you either are or you aren't creating Ketones, the actual amount being excreted is irrelevant, especially when you are just starting out and your body is figuring out how to utilize Ketones for fuel.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I would say to focus on the food and its nutrients to start off. Also find the satisfaction in the meals you are preparing and enjoying the process. I personally pre-log my days so I have a plan and can make the adjustments needed to stick to it before it's too late. I never tested for ketones but I feel energized and really mentally sharp when I become ketone adapted. I also barely feel hungry and intermittent fasting naturally becomes my natural pattern of eating.
  • amlelas68
    amlelas68 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am also doing keto and what helped me is I joined some Keto support groups to help me have a better knowledge of the plan.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mistyboggs wrote: »
    I did not know anything about the ketogenic diet when I began. It has been one month and I am down 16 pounds. Ultimately it’s is a low carb diet. It starts out has being high fat, moderate protein but once your body adjusts you don’t worry about making your fat goals, only protein goals. Typically you keep under 20 carbs. Ultimately no bread, potatoes no processed food. No sugar. Only fruits like blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. I no longer swell at the end of the day and my energy level is higher than it’s been over 20 years. I also do not experience brain fog. I also do intermident fasting. I only eat between noon at 8 pm. I start my morning out with bulletproof coffee so I guess I break my fast in the morning. I put MCT oil and heavy whipping cream. I used to put butter also, but not anymore

If you are consuming MCT and cream, you are definitely not fasting. MCT oil metabolizes fairly quickly (much like a carb).

OP, id suggest you just start to reduce carbs and increasing protein while filling the rest in with fat. Also, adding additional sodium to help mitigate electrolyte imbalances. With the carbs you do consume, i would focus more on fibrous ones. Over time, you can get carbs down to 20-50g.

Ultimately, you still need to control calories in some manner. If it helpa keeps you satiated, than its a good approach.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

A healthy person who is not sedentary will most likely be in ketosis at under 50g of carbs total. For someone with insulin resistance, 20-30g will usually result in ketosis.

Ketostix urine strips are the cheapest tests but not overly accurate. I used these out of curiosity. Blood tests are accurate but more expensive.

But no tests are needed if you keep carbs low enough for a few days. You'll be in ketosis at very low carb levels.
  • jsb0726
    jsb0726 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What I have learned so far on keto.
    1. Log your food before making it to check carb and fat ratios of each meal. This will help you understand what you should be consuming.
    2. Make sure you increase your water and electrolytes to stave off the “keto flu”. The symptoms are related to the water you are going to stop retaining when you drop carbs. The water also pulls sodium, potassium, and magnesium from your body. This causes dehydration which is why so many people feel bad the first week or so. Chicken broth, Powerade zero, and heavy seasoning on food will help with this.
    3. The cravings that used to run my life are gone. I am the one in control now. Once I cut carbs from my diet the constant sugar cravings stopped. This has to do with how your hormones will change when you remove carbs from your diet. You can check you tube for explanations on the hormonal effect of ketosis.
    4. My energy level went through the roof once I started burning fat over carbs. I truly felt better than I ever have.
    5. You need to have green leafy vegetables in your diet every day. Or supplement with fiber to prevent bowel issues.
    6. Take it one day at a time and adjust as needed. Don’t let mistakes derail you. One day of high carbs won’t undo all your hard work. We all need a break.
    7. I feel like *kitten* if I eat too much sugar now which helps me avoid going back to my old way of eating.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    amlelas68 wrote: »
    I am also doing keto and what helped me is I joined some Keto support groups to help me have a better knowledge of the plan.
    It sounds so backwards, weightloss is about eating less than you burn, if you accept that, that's all you need to know to lose weight.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    amlelas68 wrote: »
    It sounds so backwards, weightloss is about eating less than you burn, if you accept that, that's all you need to know to lose weight.

I disagree. I knew, and I think most people know, that one needs to eat fewer calories in order to lose weight but some ways of achieving that are easier for some people to do, than other ways.

Getting support and more knowledge so you are more likely to be successful in weight management efforts seems to be a smart move to me. Similar to weight watchers or other plans that advise you on what foods might work best to reach a certain goal with CI<CO.
  • reality7001
    reality7001 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I want to start a ketogenic diet but haven't a clue where to begin. Any tips? Thanks

A helpful article I found on Web MD. Link at the bottom.

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-1-diabetes-guide/what-is-ketosis