Floor press vs bench press

Options
I've been working on both bench press and floor press lately. This week I tested my one rep max for both. On Monday, I benched 105 lbs. Today, I hit 120 lbs on the floor press. Now, I had an off day on Monday at the gym so I know that effected it a bit.

My question: should those numbers be closer together? If I try my bench again on a day where I am feeling better, should I expect it to be higher than my floor press? What kind of numbers are other people putting up?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Don't you have less ROM with floor press? That could account for some of the difference.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is less range of motion with floor press. I was just wondering if other people have a similar experience. I did a Google search, and the forum I found discussing it said generally you can bench more than floor press.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Don't you have less ROM with floor press? That could account for some of the difference.

That was my assumption, too. I've never floor pressed.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I've only floor pressed with dumbbells that were too light (30+ reps), so it's hard for me to make a fair comparison. But based on one rep max estimates I'm guessing that my numbers would be pretty close.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You're going to be able to move more weight on any partial range of motion movement.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You're going to be able to move more weight on any partial range of motion movement.

I couldn't decide if the partial ROM for floor press would be offset by being able to use leg drive in bench when comparing how much could be lifted.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    My floor press is significantly less than my bench press. My 3rm for floor press would be around 70kg, where my raw bench 3rm is mid 80kg.

I can’t remember ever hitting over 72.5kg for floor press, where my best ever raw bench is 97.5kg.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Yeah, honestly I wouldn't compare numbers on the two lifts. They may appear simular, but they are two separate lifts and are indirectly related. There is near zero leg drive nor rebound effect with a floor press.

How close numbers are of two lifts are going to be relative to the training, strength, and recovery of a individual. There is no magic...
    A-lift * X = B-lift that is universal.

Just train and progress.

I don't test my 1RM on anything other than a submaximal rep unless it's actually a meet.

On my optimal day I probably could bench 340's with a pause and I would hazard a 320's floor press though I only floor press a couple times a year for sets currently.