strength training-exercise

MichelleKMo
MichelleKMo Posts: 25 Member
edited October 1 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm wondering how to have strength training exercise included in your daily exercise, and thus 'add' the calories to overall 'allowance'...Any advice? Thanks :):):glasses:

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    you can always enter it in on the cardio side, rather than strength side. I don't, but I know you can.
  • BobL436
    BobL436 Posts: 43 Member
    If you have a heart rate monitor, just enter the calories burned as cardio. That's what I do. It's hard to gauge strength training caloric burn do the EPOC effect.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    It is listed under the cardio choices. Not a high calorie burn; but time spent strength training is very valuable to your overall weight loss. Muscle burns fat. :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I've read that HRM don't really work for strength training. The equations use to convert heart rate to calories are only valid during aerobic exercise.

There's a "strength training" entry in the cardio database.
  • slowills
    slowills Posts: 3 Member
    If you do something like BodyPump, which is a weight lifting class that gets your heart pounding, you can enter it as circuit training. Just make sure you are really getting your heart rate up, or putting it in that way could over-estimate the amount of calories burned.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    I too use my heart rate monitor. I got the Polar watch with the chest strap, which is a little on the expensive side and I don't think I will go that expensive for another next time. It keeps good track of my heart rate though and when I begin my weights, I just start my heart rate monitor and it will show me how high my rate goes and how many calories I burn while doing it. Very helpful! I am amazed at how high the heart rate actually goes while doing weights.
  • MichelleKMo
    MichelleKMo Posts: 25 Member
    Thanks everyone!!! I entered it within 'cardio' - as mentioned there is a 'strength training' entry. Quest for HRM after work today (if I have time before Zumba) :) Thanks again!!! Much appreciated! :) Make it a great day!!
This discussion has been closed.