Weight Gain

I’m so frustrated with myself and this weight loss journey. Last year this time I weighed 141 and now I weigh 159. And I can’t lose a pound to save my life. I’m still going to the gym but I’ve apparently lost my focus! I don’t want to give up! I need help staying focused.

Replies

• ilove3g
    ilove3g Posts: 11 Member
    Good job in continuing to go to the gym! All are correct that it isn't the major factor in weight loss, but I always feel better when I am - and I find when I exercise, then I am able to eat enough to get all my nutrients in. What do you think would help you in terms of what you eat? For me, I can eat very little of certain foods - sodium, sugar and the carbs in bread and pasta really make me bloat.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    nxd10 wrote: »
    Exercise is critical for maintenance so that's great. If you're hitting your calorie goals, you might try the Whole30 eating plan. It does NOT involve dropping calories - you're actually not even supposed to log. I did on my doctor's recommendation for stomach problem. It's basically an elimination diet: no grains, dairy, sugar, legumes, or alcohol for a month. Lots of protein and veg. I didn't do it to lose weight but did drop the couple pounds I had put on. My husband has been trying to lose weight for years (and failed with MFP). He's dropped 23 pounds since May 20th.

We both feel a lot better and have continued with it, adding back alcohol and an occasional treat. It was just good for us to break out of our rut and eat clean. It was delicious - even the kids and my mother like it. Combined with your gym work it may get you back on track.

the thing is 30 days may or may not be long enough to see if there is a correlation between a certain food and issues. I would do 60 days at the very least maybe longer.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Its great that you are working out, now you have to consistently watch your calorie intake - eating less than you burn = weight loss. It takes time and patience - just make a start at logging your calorie intake, aiming to stay under the calorie allowance that this app has given you the majority of the time will bring results :smile: . All the best.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    If you did not gain all the weight back, celebrate the pounds you managed to keep off. They count, too. Look at your diet, activity level, age (alas, the older I get, the slower my metabolism) and try, try, try again. I have learned the hard way that dieting is the easy part. Keeping the weight (or most of the weight) off in the long term is the real battle. Still fighting!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Are you logging your calories in MFP or just going to the gym?

Diet is 90% of weight loss exercise is 10%. Therefore, you need to set a reasonable calorie target and log your calories accurately. Once you do that I'm sure you will have progress.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,230 Member
    Another cliche BUT TRUE!

You lose more weight in the kitchen than in the gym.

Concentrate on what and how much you are eating.

Exercise is good but it won’t beat healthy eating.

Good luck.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »
    Another cliche BUT TRUE!

You lose more weight in the kitchen than in the gym.

Concentrate on what and how much you are eating.

Exercise is good but it won’t beat healthy eating.

Good luck.

how about if we had to chase our food old school! get exercise and nutrition!
  • Inspiration15
    Inspiration15 Posts: 42 Member
    I have gotten to 141 pounds and tend to gain back to 159 all the time! I really do my best logging food. It’s a constant battle that I wish I didn’t have. Just count calories and do the best you can. I can’t seem to eat over 1200 calories or I gain. I always wonder how some can eat more than me and stay so slim.
  • mgoldin50 wrote: »
    I have gotten to 141 pounds and tend to gain back to 159 all the time! I really do my best logging food. It’s a constant battle that I wish I didn’t have. Just count calories and do the best you can. I can’t seem to eat over 1200 calories or I gain. I always wonder how some can eat more than me and stay so slim.

you log food but do you weigh food? if not that could make a BIG difference
  • Inspiration15
    Inspiration15 Posts: 42 Member
    mgoldin50 wrote: »

Weigh food all the time.
  • mgoldin50 wrote: »

Weigh food all the time.
    maybe something is off then either you are overestimating exercise calories and eating those back? if not have you had blood work done to rule anything out? are you very short,elderly or sedentary? becauses eating over 1200 and gaining may be an issue if you are one or a combo of those things. oherwise I dont know what would be the issue if its not any of those things.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member

From your other thread, you are basing this statement on having eaten over 1200 for less than a week and overinterpreting normal random scale fluctuations.

Stop that.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,960 Member
    Great job on the exercise!!

To stay focused: why do you want to weigh 141?
    Really think about it. Keep asking why until you get to the core, compelling reason.

An 18 lb gain over 1 year is 1.5 lbs per month or 5250 extra calories per month or 175 extra calories per day.

Reduce calories per day by 175 through additional than normal exercise and/or decreased calorie consumption.

Perhaps burn 100 extra calories & decrease each meal by 25?

Or decrease each meal by 50 & burn an extra 25 calories?

And be patient...remembering your “Big Why”

You can definitely do this.

This is the most reasonable response to a post I've ever seen. Bravo!!!

@elisa123gal
    Thank you so much - means a ton to me that you said this.