Exercise

Options
I am currently on medical leave for herniated discs. Obviously I cant work out due to pain. I was doing well with my weightloss and dont want to mess that up and gain because of being inactive. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could do, and not cause myself too much pain?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Can you walk?
  • ladyethorne1
    ladyethorne1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I know your pain intimately. I had back surgery back in 2012 and I still have problems. The best thing you can get for yourself is some bungee bands and a hand bike. You can get strength training with the bands without jarring your back too much, and the hand bike is great for cardio. And yes, definitely walk, even slowly. Take several 10 minute walks to start and try to increase your tolerance. Walking and movement are critical to recovering from back injuries if you can do it.
  • Kesh0486
    Kesh0486 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can walk. Just very slowly. With your surgery, how long were you down for recovery? And was it worth it if you still have problems? Ive been starting to try doing more and more at a time without overdoing it but sometimes I think I'm ok but then the pain gets horrible a little later.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Kesh0486 wrote: »
    I was doing well with my weightloss and dont want to mess that up and gain because of being inactive.

Weight loss only requires eating fewer calories than you burn, not exercise, so don't feel pressured to do lots of exercise right now. But do follow any exercises your physical therapist or doctor recommends. Usually this involves learning how to contract the transverse abdominal muscle, which braces the spine. :+1:
  • Kesh0486
    Options
    They pulled me out of physical therapy because it intensified the pain. They did teach me the ab exercises though. I've been doing those! I guess I just felt better about myself when I could exercise also. Felt like it was more satisfying and rewarding
  • alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    what about swimming?
  • Kesh0486
    Options
    I never thought about swimming! Maybe I'll give that a try!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from what and how much you eat. Now is time to tighten up on your food and focus on healing your back.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Kesh0486 wrote: »
    They pulled me out of physical therapy because it intensified the pain. They did teach me the ab exercises though. I've been doing those! I guess I just felt better about myself when I could exercise also. Felt like it was more satisfying and rewarding

I'd be miserable without exercise calories :(

Do ask your PT for suggestions - walking, swimming, gentle yoga, etc.