Anyone else suffer from BED?

Anyone else dealing with binge eating disorder (or any types of eating disorders)? How do you keep yourself in check and force yourself not to give up when it comes to eating and excercising in a proper and healthy way?

Replies

• cnave99
    cnave99 Posts: 63 Member
    I used to. I haven’t had a real binge episode in a while. I suggest Brain over binge (book or podcast- both are about the same info)

I still overeat. But I can’t remember the last time I had a whole pizza, or a whole box of cookies. And that’s a good thing to not be able to remember! 😊 good luck!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I'm recovered from Anorexia binge/purge subtype
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    I used to binge eat and drink as an emotional blanket over the pain I felt from the negative comments and emotional abuse from my mother and ex husband. With the support of a wonderful man I am learning to love, and just as importantly like, myself. With this I have found the need to binge has just about disappeared and on the odd occasions it rears its ugly head, I can recognize what is happening and divert myself by going for a walk or simply working through whatever is causing the need to binge.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Every single month during my female time plus some. It's a wonder how I managed to lose 110 pounds!
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    I've still yet to discover anything that keeps me even remotely in check. My last binge was Thursday, and I also overate(but not to binge level) on Friday. It seems to be 3 or 4 times a week now, it's definitely getting worse.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    I've tried lots of things. Removing all "trigger foods" from the house, stopping all snacking, allowing myself snacks so I don't get over-hungry, letting myself eat "trigger foods" so they lose their power over me, journalling, logging every shameful mouthful, not logging anything so I can more easily forget about it and move on, I've tried hating myself, forgiving myself, talking to myself like a drill sergeant and also practicing self love and affirmation. All of this, even though none of the things worked by themselves, meant a lot of thinking about why I was still continuing to binge even though I was doing everything I thought I was supposed to be doing, which I think is what ultimately helps.

I'm doing better recently after I worked out it's a combination of feeling lonely and that I am a strict with myself during the week so I can "let off steam" on the weekends like I used to do with alcohol. Food won't make me less lonely! There's no point denying myself food during the week to "be good" if it's going to make me binge on Sunday! Everyone is different, the only thing that I think can help everyone is the self reflection you need to do to figure out what emotional hole you're trying to fill with food.
    I think it is a matter of getting control of one's emotions. I have a friend who posted "it's not in here" on her refrigerator to remind herself that the answer could not be found by eating more.

I have a little message board that currently says "You can only control today, so make today good" which does give me a little boost sometimes. It's yet to actually stop a binge tho!