Too much fat gain

Options
Ok, I am bulking

Due to school holidays and naughtyness I am in too large a surplus and putting on more fat than I need do I : -

(1) go back to a 300-500 surplus and keep the fat

(2) go back to maintenance until the fat evens out/goes etc

(3) go to deficit for a couple of weeks

My goal is the same as most - muscle gain with minimal fat gain

Thanks for the help

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    How much have you gained so far? Do you know your approximate bodyfat? How close are you to your goal?

If you feel very uncomfortable but still have quite a bit of gaining to do, I would probably lean most to option #3, do a mini-cut for about 4-6weeks. That will be the quickest way to shed excess fat and let you get on with productive bulking again.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hi ... body fat is around the 15% mark at a guess .. typically all held around waist so hard to determine as everywhere else is skinny as.

Miles away from goal ... I set jan as my finish date so I could reassess whether to keep on or cut back again.

Only recently started so most of my fat is probably fear as I have lost definition my face looks chubby and I am approaching the waist size limit on my favourite shorts !!!

But aware that having the last 2weeks off I have lost control somewhat of my diet and have eaten way more than planned and feel it’s showing
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    How much have you gained so far? How much did you gain in those two weeks? I mean even if you went off the rails in two weeks, I don't know if it would be enough to gain that much fat.. probably a lot of food and water weight too.. I guess it depends how much you overdid it!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How much have you actually gained?

Your surplus isn't as large as you think as your 'maintenance' calorie count is almost certainly to low to actually be maintenance for you.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If your body fat % is accurate within reason, either option 1 or 2. That is still a low enough body fat to gain and get calorie partitioning benefits. If you are not sure and may be 2 or 3% higher, option 3.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Ultimately the first thing I would look at is what kind of responder you are to training. Second reeling in your surplus to match that responder question. Third, access your programming and adjust if needed the volume to assure it is on point.

Personally, I can have a high surplus because I'm on the higher side for response and won't gain a typical amount of fat of someone who is a less responder.

More info is needed as it would be inappropriate to advice you with a optimal plan on general info of the problem and not much of the data of the current plan.