Lap Swimmers?

Can you suggest a 2500 meter workout?

Replies

• cathy196051
    cathy196051 Posts: 55 Member
    I have used www.swimplan.com in the past to create swim plans and individual workouts.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    What are you looking to accomplish? Stamina, form?

I would probably do a 400m warm-up; 200m cool-down

Then maybe 200m drills - single arm, punch water

Then some sets of 50m (ie 10x50 w/15sec rest)

Etc

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    I would add 2x 50m scull, 50m pulls and 50m glides into the warm ups.

Differentiate between stroke drills vs actual swims and decide number and distance to suit your goals.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited August 2018
    I don't plan, unless I'm planning a much longer swim. I just get in and swim. :D
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Beginner here, so just 'bump' for the advice...
  • trochanter
    trochanter Posts: 76 Member
    Have a look on this thread for ideas, people post their swims here. Might give you a general idea.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1342951/did-you-swim-today#latest
  • ecrosby512
    ecrosby512 Posts: 55 Member
    500 warmup; 5x200 free; 8x50 kick; 4x200 IM; warm down.
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Excuse my ignorance: 'IM'?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Excuse my ignorance: 'IM'?

individual medley - butterfly, backstroke, breast stroke, freestyle
  • Seraxil
    Seraxil Posts: 18 Member
    edited September 2018
    Glad I saw this thread. Recently got back in to swimming and really enjoying it. I’ve only managed to go twice due to a child who gets very upset if I go without him! And a hubby who works evenings so once son’s in bed- I can’t go!!

First time I was testing the waters, so to speak XD. Had a little swim and a feel for things. Last time I started in 2s, freestyle and breast. Then up to ten. Then I managed 70 lengths without stopping! Gave me great motivation for next time, although I’m sure I was terribly slow!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    visit our Group: Swimmers!
    We have all skill levels and are active
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    to anyone watching, I'm a boring lap swimmer: I get in, I swim a mile freestyle, I kick 9 laps on a kickboard, and finish up with freestyle to make 1.5 miles.

But inside my head, I'm solving problems, designing my next craft project, composing letters and emails to my friends and family and bubble-meditating on the meaning of life!
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    edited September 2018
    Hiya! I was a competitive swimmer when I was younger so can remember a few things :)

I don't know what your goals are but I would aim to try and get a little bit of everything (speed, stamina, technique) in. Here's an example:

400 mixed stroke warm up, taking it easy

6 x 50 drills (your stroke of choice. Any drills for example only using one arm, catch-up, kick, pull, double arm backstroke. Whatever you like!)

A main set of 'build' in the format of (4 x 50)(3 X 100)(2 x 150)(1 x 200). So for each 50 you'd start out slow and gradually build your pace until you were sprinting by the end. Repeat for the rest of the 50s. Then the same principle for the 100s, 150s and 200.

4 x 100 SKiPs, IM order. (4 lengths of the pool where you do 1 length swim, 1 length kick, 1 length pull, 1 length swim. The first 100m is butterfly based. Then 30 s rest. The next 100m is all backstroke based. Rest. Then breaststroke then front crawl).

8 x 25 sprint (any stroke as long as you're going full out)

200m easy cool down, choice of stroke.

I don't know your fitness levels so can't recommend rest times but try to take a couple of minutes in between each part of the workout to have a drink and get your breath and take between 10 and 30 seconds in between each 50 or 25 or whatever bit you're on (if that makes sense)

(ooh and a little tip in case you don't already do it: if you have trouble remembering sets or are worried you'll miss something out, write out the sets on a little piece of paper using a pen that won't run, wet the back of it in the pool then wrap it round a water bottle. It sticks!)