Question to those with young kids

Options

Replies

• jcearth
    jcearth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have three boys ages 5, 2, and 1, and we keep a lot of kid-friendly items that are easy to heat up for dinner. We try to include the children in what we are eating as much as possible, but always have the alternative items just in case. For example, we like to have grilled salmon, and the 1 year old loves it, but the 2 and 5 year old are not fans, so we make them chicken nuggets on that evening. Also, I am a big fan on the frozen steamed vegetables bags that are microwavable, so every night everyone has to eat their veggies.

7980302.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • landay
    landay Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I also have a 3 year old, and we sometimes run into the same issue. I don't normally have a separate "meal" for her, though, I normally just scramble her an egg and give her a variety of fruits and vegetables on the side. Or sometimes cottage cheese or yogurt for the protein, and fruits and veggies on the side. (by the way, my daughter won't normally eat fresh vegetables plain, but loves them dipped in a little bit of ranch) Kids are different, but my daughter is normally content without a cooked meal. She's happy with just a variety of foods that she likes.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    My kids will eat salad. What are you putting on it? If you do chicken and cheese or whatever, just give home some of the toppings.

But quick kid friend ideas: quesadillas, frozen chicken nuggets, hot dogs, black beans (my kids LOVE them even the baby), keep some cooked chicken in the fridge (my kids will eat that with ranch), sugar snap peas, carrots, canned green beans, mac and cheese of course, deli meat sandwiches, wraps...
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    One thing is to never let your kid have control over what's for dinner. Having them involved in the cooking/making process encourages them to eat what's on the table. At that age, you really need to introduce to him all sorts of foods. We typically make it a rule that you have to take a no thank you bite.
    I know that dinner can be a battle, but you definitely aren't a short order cook. I think it is normal for kids to be picky like that, but you have to stick to your guns and keep introducing the same foods over and over. A lot of times it's more texture that's the issue.
    Another tip is to put really small amounts of new foods so it's not so overwhelming. There are times that kids want to push your buttons.
    Now that my kids are older 10 and 8, if they don't eat what's on their plate, they don't get anything else to eat. That sure did change the picture.
    Like I said, keep introducing new foods from time to time.
    It'll get better.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    No offense to anyone and I know each child is VERY different and I also know a lot of pediatricians suggest feeding underweight picky eaters junk food just to get them to eat. BUT, they do say that it takes 6-8 times of putting a food in front of a child before they might start eating it, and then it's a big "might". But, starting good, healthy eating habits with your children early is so key to ending our obesity epidemic. Feeding your children Easy Mac and hot dogs while you eat something healthy is just sending the wrong message, in my opinion. Give them what you're eating...and then add a little something to the plate that you know they'll eat, like a piece of fruit or something. Your kids won't starve themselves. They'll just eat more at breakfast.

I agree.
  • edunk2008
    Options
    :sad: I know the feeling!!! I have a toddler and a skinny minny 10 year old who needs all the calories and fat I can shove down her throat!!!! Both are CRAZY active and I worry about their bodies not getting enough of the stuff it needs to have the get-up-and-go to stay healthy. I make them a 'normal' dinner and then make myself, and the hubby if hes not at work, a healthy option. I save leftovers from my meal for lunch the following day. I'm also learning how to make my kids favs more healthy as well. Better for all of us, and it feels awesome to up the veggies and knock the carbs down a notch for them,too!!!!
    :wink: They love their Mac n' cheese and pizza and all the normal kid stuff and just cause I'm on a diet doesnt mean I want them to have to sacrifice those things so, I've come up with a RULE for myself that works AWESOME!!! When making them mac n' cheese or another 'no,no' food for me, I allow myself no more then 3 bites of it using my sons baby spoon. If I can limit it to only 3 bites, I dont have to record it. That way, I get my craving out of the way without undoing my day and its such a tiny serving, its guilt free!!!!
  • wanttoloseit5
    wanttoloseit5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I make lettuce roll-ups with lunch meat and cheese. I let my kids choose the dressing and their veggies to put on them. Hopefully this helps.:smile:
  • herillusion
    herillusion Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My son has been very open to try new things (4 years old) and loves salads but he won't eat enough of a salad like I could to fill me up so I add in something of his choice since my salads are full of vegetables.

My salads include: lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, califlower, cucumbers, corn, green peppers, radishes, croutons, italian dressing
  • RDH77
    RDH77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Good question! I have two kids, 8 and 5, and I give them what we eat however like yours they aren't big on salads. So on nights, like last night when my husband and I had greek salad with chicken, I made them a sweet potato and broccoli/carrot/cauliflower mix to accompany their chicken. They don't always like what I give them, but I made up my mind pretty early on in this parenting adventure that I was not making separate meals every night. I make one meal, and they can either eat it or they can go to bed hungry. My kids are active and eat healthy snacks (fruit, whole grain crackers, and cheese or yogurt) throughout the day and they are growing well so I know they aren't starving if they don't like dinner. I have a rule in my house that no matter what I put on that dinner plate, they have to take a thank you bite. If after that they still don't like it, they don't HAVE to eat it. 8 times out 10, their faces light up when they realize that it's actually yummy and not poison. Now don't get me wrong, I still do fish sticks, and chicken nuggets, or mac and cheese on nights when I'm not making a big dinner for all of us or when we are short on time but the majority of dinners are comprised of a protein a carb, and a veggie. Good Luck and it looks like you've gotten some good ideas to help you out!
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    No offense to anyone and I know each child is VERY different and I also know a lot of pediatricians suggest feeding underweight picky eaters junk food just to get them to eat. BUT, they do say that it takes 6-8 times of putting a food in front of a child before they might start eating it, and then it's a big "might". But, starting good, healthy eating habits with your children early is so key to ending our obesity epidemic. Feeding your children Easy Mac and hot dogs while you eat something healthy is just sending the wrong message, in my opinion. Give them what you're eating...and then add a little something to the plate that you know they'll eat, like a piece of fruit or something. Your kids won't starve themselves. They'll just eat more at breakfast.

I agree.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!! I also agree with what's above here. I won't be feeding him Easy Mac or anything like that. He really isn't a picky eater, salads are one of the very few things he won't eat (knock on wood! That could change in a second lol!) I do continuously try to get him to eat it, but he just isn't interested. He'll eat lettuce in tacos and other things, but not alone...Also, I've never been a short order cook which is why I'm a little curious about what to do. I do NOT want him to get used to the idea of me making him a separate "meal". The rule is my house is you eat what we're eating or you don't eat (and he has gone to bed hungry a few times.) But when it's something I know he just doesn't like, I am willing to find him something else.

I think I'll try to suggestions to give him whatever is topping our salads that night...Maybe I'll throw some lettuce under it, but just a little bit, and maybe eventually he'll eat it!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    No offense to anyone at all, but I am really suprised that so see that people who care about their own bodies are feeding their kids crap food. That is not to say that Easy Mac or Spaghetios should be forbidden, but having it as a daily source of "nutrition" is nuts. My husband and I both work full time and my daughter still eats home cooked meals. She does eat mac and cheese, spaghetti and meatballs, and chicken nuggets, but *I* make them and I can control what goes in.

If you are eating chicken breast, you can cut it up into strips and make your own chicken fingers - 15 minutes

Mac and Cheese - Boil whole wheat pasta, make your own cheese sauce and hide some veggies in there - 15 minutes

Spaghetti and meatballs - Whole wheat spaghetti, tiny turkey meatballs cooked in a few ounces of canned chunk tomato - 15 minutes

Mashed potatos - no brainer. YOu can also mash cauliflower and turnips, but you'll have to be creative with seasoning the turnips if they don't like the taste

I also make rice and beans every other day. This takes me about twenty minutes, and they are foods that I don't have to watch while they are cooking. She really loves her rice and beans and I make sure to add peas, carrots in the beans. When everything is mixed together, she doesn't know the difference. Sometimes instead of rice, I'll make her quinoa, which is also super easy and quick to make and healthier as well. I put very little salt into her food. With picky eaters, you just have to get a little creative. A lot of people are not willing to do that, but it is totally worth it!
  • ttennant
    ttennant Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :smile: I have a 7 yr old and an 8 yr old and I am trying to teach them healthy eating habits too. I have found that different kinds of turkey sausage brats they love! And I use ground turkey instead of hamburger and they love that too! Yesterday we tried a chicken sausage link with artichoke and asiago cheese in it and it was delicious. As far as sides go I make mashed or baked potatoes or noodles and I generally don't eat much of the sides. My kids also love steamed broccoli and cauliflower, I eat mine with a litte bit of salt and the kids prefer a little bit of shredded cheese on theirs.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    My kids are 3 and 5, and ever since they've been off baby food, we've all eaten the same things. There are occassions when we're eating leftovers and there aren't enough for everyone, so I'll just eat a salad or something, but for the most part, they eat what we eat. I just make fun food for all of us, so it's kid friendly, as well as health-consious. For example - yesterday, I threw 4 chicken breasts into the slowcooker and let it cook all day. Then, when it was nearly dinner time, I shredded it up, dumped a little bbq sauce on it, some lemon juice, a little brown sugar, a bit of ketchup, and a few shots of worchestershire sauce. It was REALLY good, and we ate it on whole wheat buns and had scalloped potatoes with it. The kids had apple straws with it too.

Good luck, but I would say just keep working on them, eventually they'll eat what you eat. Like others have said, if they don't have other options, they won't starve. They will eat it.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    No offense to anyone at all, but I am really suprised that so see that people who care about their own bodies are feeding their kids crap food. That is not to say that Easy Mac or Spaghetios should be forbidden, but having it as a daily source of "nutrition" is nuts. My husband and I both work full time and my daughter still eats home cooked meals. She does eat mac and cheese, spaghetti and meatballs, and chicken nuggets, but *I* make them and I can control what goes in.

If you are eating chicken breast, you can cut it up into strips and make your own chicken fingers - 15 minutes

Mac and Cheese - Boil whole wheat pasta, make your own cheese sauce and hide some veggies in there - 15 minutes

Spaghetti and meatballs - Whole wheat spaghetti, tiny turkey meatballs cooked in a few ounces of canned chunk tomato - 15 minutes

Mashed potatos - no brainer. YOu can also mash cauliflower and turnips, but you'll have to be creative with seasoning the turnips if they don't like the taste

I also make rice and beans every other day. This takes me about twenty minutes, and they are foods that I don't have to watch while they are cooking. She really loves her rice and beans and I make sure to add peas, carrots in the beans. When everything is mixed together, she doesn't know the difference. Sometimes instead of rice, I'll make her quinoa, which is also super easy and quick to make and healthier as well. I put very little salt into her food. With picky eaters, you just have to get a little creative. A lot of people are not willing to do that, but it is totally worth it!

THANK YOU!!! I was trying to find a nice way to say that exactly, but it wasn't working.

My kids are picky, and they have allergies, (varying degrees of milk and my son is allergic to soy) so cooking for everyone isn't the easiest thing. I don't think its fair that we would feed our bodies healthy and then feed the kids junk that does nothing for them.
  • martha1485
    martha1485 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Absolutely... I know little kids are picky eaters and you just wantto get themto eat butremember healthyeating is both a habit and a lifestyle that for best results shouldbe tought froman early age... Why would you worry about eating and being healthy yourself... and not have the same concern regarding your kids... nothing justifies unhealthy eating habits fora kid!!! why don't you spend your nights eating mac&cheese, pizza, hot dogs and frozen tv diners.... BECAUSE IT IS UNHEALTHY!!!!! sooo why would you feed your kids that!!!!

Parenting does not mean giving in to your kids wants ... but looking out for your kids needs..

In my experience after staying strongon the dinner menu for about ten days.... your kid will figure out that he has to eat salads... because mommy won't fix him an easy meal just to get him to eat...

remember good habits start ata young age!!!
  • bethy0316
    Options
    Macaroni and Cheese, Hot dog, Sandwich/Chips, Cheese Fries, My 8 year old LOVES Kids Cuisines, Chicken Nuggets ... anything quick and easy.

Hope I helped a little ♥
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options

I agree with this so much.... I quit buying anything canned except for some veggies (no salt) & I prefer the taste of my homemade mac & cheese- it doesn't take that much time to make either. Most of the time I don't give my kids an option(unless they are helping me pick out what to make for dinner)- I make what I make & they either eat it or they don't. Most of the time they decide to eat at least a little. I have one kid that's not picky at all & one that is kind of picky with meats & veggies.
  • emmabeckemeyer1
    emmabeckemeyer1 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    What do you feed your little ones for dinner? I don't mean every night, but like some nights if I want to have a salad, my husband will eat a salad with me...but unfortunately my 3 year old won't. He eats lettuce in things, but he won't eat a salad. I really don't have the time, nor desire, to cook two meals a night, one for us and one for the LO, but I don't want him eating a PB&J every night either. So, any quick easy meal ideas for kiddos on those nights when we are eating salads or something like that?
    I am lucky my 3 year old will eat anything! I am not a big fan of salads but she can't get enough! She eats everything we eat and my one year old as well. I just make sure they get a little more healthy fats during the day...peanut butter. I really try to avoid giving my girls processed foods because I am changing our lives for the better-healthier.
    I hope you find something for your little boy