Intermittent Fasting

Options
I recently read a medical journal that explained how intermittent fasting can be bad for you. Long story short, even if you lose weight, it causes your pancreas to not work right and increases your risk of insulin resistance and diabetes long term. They definitely do not recommend it to anyone who is overweight or obese because you're already at an increased risk of insulin resistance. So eat! ;) Here's the link if you're interested: https://theguardian.com/society/2018/may/20/fasting-diets-raise-risk-of-diabetes

Replies

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    The guardian....oh please. Meal timing doesn't matter.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't see a link to the actual study in the article, and I don't trust the Guardian to get the story right. Also they seem to be talking about 5:2 and alternate day fasting, not eating windows, although it's all worded pretty vaguely.

And the Guardian NOT a medical journal :neutral:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    So...Intermittent Fasting in my world is, "Eat on a limited-hour schedule." My way is 16:8 - eat for eight hours of the day and don't eat for the other 16.

Should I get up at 2AM and have a snack?

I mean, I'm in my mid-sixties and don't have any health problems and I've been eating like this all my life (mostly.) I have to admit, I just got a lucky genetic roll of the dice most likely. Plus I'm at a healthy weight and have been for most of my 60+ years.
  • raraCoco
    raraCoco Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been doing intermittent fasting now for 16 days. I eat from 10:30am to 3pm daily. Honestly this is the first time i've been able to lose weight without calorie counting. (I still do try to eat healthy though.) I've been doing a lot of reading about it and it seems to have a lot of benefits which I'm already starting to see/ feel. I am more suspicious of alternate day fasting having a negative effect on the body.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Could have.
    May.
    More investigation is needed.
    Evidence contradictory.
    Rat study.
    Study not linked.
    The Guardian.

Not that convincing.

Next week it will be intermittent fasting is the way to get a bikini body / 6 pack abs in just 8 weeks
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    seagrava wrote: »
    I recently read a medical journal that explained how intermittent fasting can be bad for you. Long story short, even if you lose weight, it causes your pancreas to not work right and increases your risk of insulin resistance and diabetes long term. They definitely do not recommend it to anyone who is overweight or obese because you're already at an increased risk of insulin resistance. So eat! ;) Here's the link if you're interested: https://theguardian.com/society/2018/may/20/fasting-diets-raise-risk-of-diabetes

That's not a medical journal.

Also this:
    "researchers examined the effects of fasting every other day on the bodyweight, free radical levels and insulin function of normal adult rats over three months."

And since all articles, even better sites that list the studies she references, never link to her study, I'm guessing it's not published yet. Being from May, perhaps that means not peer-reviewed yet for completeness & accuracy.

This is probably why:
    "Research presented at the European Society of Endocrinology annual meeting — which took place in Barcelona, Spain"

So oral presentation of the info so far.

Only older study references was this, despite saying "studies" in the press release.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16517498

I'm not sure why these studies couldn't have been able to be done on humans - all kinds of people are willing to do these fasts, if not already.