Need motivation!

Options
Hi everyone. I'm 35,196 lbs, mama of a 2 year old, and trying this weight loss thing for the thousandth time. I do good for a while, then get sad/mad/frustrated/pmsy and it all goes to hell. How do u keep it up and stay on track even when you're not feeling so great?

Replies

• ladyethorne1
    ladyethorne1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I do know that for me, starting out is exciting because I see results right away from losing water weight stored up in my muscles. When that slows it can be frustrating, but the only way to come to terms with it is to keep going and start taking measurements instead of going by that darned scale. And by all means, play with the diet until it is so second nature it feels "right" because that helps rewire yourself to a healthier lifestyle. I kind of look at the things I "can't" have as things I "can" have if I do "this exercise" first or drink more water for those super-sodium treats. I try to tell myself, "I can have it later," instead of "I can't have it." And if I "must have it" I go searching the web for ways to make a healthier alternative and get excited by the project, more so than the treat itself. It becomes a fun game instead of an onerous task of trying to keep to the diet.
  • dragonghost
    dragonghost Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Realizing the alternative is enough motivation to kick my rear end when i am getting lazy or tired.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    It's not about motivation. It's about commitment to yourself. I always start out every new month ready to have the best month ever and often my commitment waivers and I find myself struggling again. The key is to not give up. I begin again each and every month will new determination will continue to do for the rest of my life. I also really like challenges and there are some great ones on MFP. The more you can do to keep yourself engaged with weight loss the better it will be for you. Remember there is no finish line. This is for life! :)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Start by calculating a calorie deficit to lose no more than 1 lb per week. That voice in your head saying that’s going to take too long? That’s a patience issue. Everybody says weight loss takes patience, but not many people are willing to practice it.

Also, always know your maintenance calories.

Start a food diary and always log everything in. Going over your number, even way over, is not a reason to stop keeping your diary. Don’t know how many calories in a meal or dish? Do some research with what info you have available and make a good faith guess. Forget to log in a meal? Go back and do your best to fill it in. You don’t need to be perfect.

If your food diary is the center of your effort, the only way to get “off track” is to make a conscious decision to quit. Don’t.

If you find yourself deeply discouraged, up your calories to your maintenance number for a few days. The best plan is one you will actually follow. Never quit problem solving with respect to your plan. Always evaluate your plan for two things- Do you have a long term downward trend on the scale? Are you satisfied how you are living? There seems to be an mistaken notion that if we aren't miserable while losing weight, we aren’t doing it right.

If you are patient you can avoid a lot of weight loss unhappiness.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Every notice that parents of young children tend to put on weight? I have three teenagers and put on a bunch of weight. You are trapped taking care of that child in a way. You are bored. Boredom leads to mindless eating. Along with the above comments I would recommend that you wear out the wheels of that stroller.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Oh, man, those up and down cycles! I found that just plugging away and logging faithfully into MFP helped me a lot. I started to keep pretty happy about developing a new disciplined habit of watching what I ate. And when I get sad or mad, I go outside for a one to three mile walk (the longer one takes about an hour). I never eat while I walk, so that was a good thing. The fresh air helps, too, and having some low impact exercise gave me a boost. When my son was young, sometimes I'd have a friend watch him for an hour so I could walk at a faster pace. Frankly, that was a great mental boost, too! Another idea is to have a friend join you so you can talk through your sad and mad feelings (your friend has them, too). Come home, drink some water, snack on an apple and a slice of cheese and you'll make it through the desire to snack on chips and cookies.