What do you do when you’re stuck

Options
Hi everyone
First time posting in MFP line this. Im looking for ways to boost motivation. I seem to have fallen off the wagon a bit and can’t find my way back. I feel myself going back to my old habits on binging on garbage food and I need help.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I just joined a September weight loss challenge because I'm in the same boat. My day of reckoning was last week when I had to go to my mother-in-laws funeral and I didn't have anything to wear that wasn't too tight. I knew then that I had to change course or all my hard work I put into losing the 60 pounds I needed to lose would be for nothing. I have gained back 15 because I couldn't get back on that wagon. I'm only 4 days in, but my binging seems to be under control. Fingers crossed.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yep I think figuring out why you are eating too much is key. How big was your deficit? Were you avoiding your fave foods? Were you working out, and did you enjoy what you were doing? How long were you on the wagon and how much weight had you lost so far?
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Forget about motivation. You're reverting to old habits. Why? Calling your favorite/comfort/easy foods garbage, and describing yourself eating, bingeing, is not going to make you stick to your new habits. There are no right or wrong foods, there is just time, and an endless row of choices. Most of all, there is no wagon.

NO WAGON???? Well, that explains a lot! ;)@kommodevaran Good response, works for me.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    Pick one or two things you know you can commit to for the month of September and just start doing it. Whether that’s perfect food logging (good, bad, or ugly), weighing yourself, bulk meal prep if you like cooking, a certain number of minutes per day of exercise, etc. Pick something basic that you know helps you when you do it consistently. Write that one commitment down on a post it note and put it somewhere you’ll see every morning (or put an alarm reminder in your phone, whatever method works for you). Do that one thing every day, just this month.

Sometimes simply taking action and getting a good week or two under your belt helps tremendously to turn your outlook around. Good habits beget more good habits, and things start falling into place. Best of luck!
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    If I feel stuck, there is usually a very good reason. I try to find the reason, then work out a solution.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    No wagon. You gotta eat, just eat a little less than you normally do.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Log everything you have eaten today right now. As much as you can remember. Even if over calories. Log it all now. Yes, now. IMO motivation comes after action. Logging your food will help you own qheee you are at. Then don’t worry about doing everything perfect. Just make every day a little better one day at a time.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Log every day, as accurately as you can. Set up a rewards system: lose 10 pounds, you get a new pair of running shoes. The next 8 pounds you get a pair of jeans. The next five pounds... you see where this is going. I found that a non-food-related reward was a nice motivator. And if you keep plugging along, you'll be successful and you'll need some new pants and shirts, anyway.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    1. There is no wagon
    2. There is no bad food. Unless you are allergic to, have an intolerance of, or other medical issue regarding certain foods (diabetes, Celiac's, high blood pressure etc).
    3. Moderation. While there are no bad foods, a diet of nothing but Skittles is very bad, but so is a diet of nothing but kale and quinoa.
    4. Start slow and build momentum. Change is hard, changing everything is nearly impossible, changing one thing is easy. Over time small changes add up to huge results.
    5. To lose weight: eat at a calorie deficit. That's it. You don't have to go on a special diet, give up foods you enjoy, or anything else. Simply eat less, especially of the high calorie stuff.
    6. Don't quit. Seriously, this is the biggest reason people don't have success. They quit. No matter how frustrated, or tired you are, or how slow the progress is, don't quit.