Running Help

Options
I've recently begun running and am incredibly impressed with my progress. I went from not running an entire mile without stopping for my whole life to in the last month or so running a 5K with a semi-decent time of 42:53.

I'm trying to get a better finishing time and have been told that you have to increase your distance to increase your speed. I've currently started doing Bridge to 10K (the running program after Couch to 5 K and am finding it incredibly draining mentally. Physically I feel like everything is just as hard as it ever was but my mind keeps winning the battle on a daily basis. Today I ran half of it outside - run 10 min, walk 1 min, run 10 min, walk 1 min, and then I couldn't get past my brain telling me how tired I was and that I should stop so I went home (which I happened to be close to unfortunately).

I got inside and was disappointed that I let my mind beat me and decided I would finish the rest later this evening - then my champion side came out (I really do love her and wish she was here all the time!) and I was like screw it I'll finish now on the treadmill. So I did the other run 10 min walk 1 min, run 10 min walk 1 min on the treadmill and tried to make it the equivalent of running outside by varying the incline from 1 - 10 and the speed from 4.5 to 7. I luckily got through it but I feel part of that was the changing speed/incline challenges (i.e. I'll run at 5.5 at 3 incline for a minute and then I'm going to decrease the speed and increase the incline every 15 seconds for the next minute). The problem is I don't think I can do that outside (or everyday on the treadmill for that matter) and really want to be able to run for extended periods of time. I think I just get bored. Does anyone have any advice of things I can do to get centered and focused while running, like meditation, I can do or even games I can play in my head while I run to keep things interesting? I've thought about audio books - would that help or hinder? Has anyone tried it?

Replies

• HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    This is bad, but it works for me: when I hit my mental wall, I end up singing "just keep swimming" in the voice of Dory from Finding Nemo, it eventually turns to "just keep running". I don't even try to do it anymore, it just happens.

I also play the one more minute game, I can do this for one more minute, really, what is one more minute. Then time has a way of passing and I get through my mental wall. Silly, but it helps me.
  • GreenwayL
    Options
    Do the intervals keep you from getting bored or is it the intervals that bore you? I only run intervals. Galloway method. You'll find that you'll often finish faster than if you ran the entire time.

Personally I prefer running outside and with someone. Having someone else with you keeps you from feeling like you want to stop because you don't want to let the other person down. Could you find someone to train with you? Treadmills are just boring period.
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    This is a tough one. I think plenty of people who do a lot of running can relate.

I actually like the mental boredom in a way. My mind is so busy during the day that it's a nice break. One thing I do is focus on my breathing and let it become a natural rhythm with my steps. After a while, the repetition becomes kind of relaxing and comforting. As long as I can keep my breathing in a steady rhythm, I know I can keep going.

Hope this helps!
  • fitsaxon
    fitsaxon Posts: 57
    Options
    Great, upbeat music will be your best bet-- there are several posts in the community section where people have discussed their favorite music to run to.

Running a nature trail, or through an interesting part of town helps keep my mind active too -- I try to change my route up every so often.

Good luck!
  • KevinPMajka
    Options
    Get a running buddy and talk through it. It helps it go so much better. I do 3 mornings a week with a good friend and it's great. I never thought I would be able to talk and run, but we do. Keep it up!

And if you are running solo - keep the tunes jamming. Use an app like run keeper or something similar to track things. I really like run keeper with the iPhone. Be sure to put your weight in too so it updates the calorie loss for your current weight.

Remember you never regret a workout once it is over - I certainly feel the same way about running! The first mile always s@cks.

Patience and persistence! Keep going!

Definitely run outside and switch up your routes - do them backwards (the other way - not running backwards that's dangerous) and then change it up. Sign up for races and do them. Get a buddy though. Best thing I've ever done for the running. We are doing a 10k in 3 weeks and then a 15k in 3 months.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't get down on yourself when you have to walk a bit. (Let that champion in you win that argument!) Exercise is exercise, whether you are doing it in 10 minute bursts, or running solid for 30 mins. Some days I can run 8 miles without stopping and others, I need to walk a bit in the middle. I know, regardless, that I am burning major calories.

I don't run with an iPod or music. I just go out and run. I find after the first few minutes of "boy this hurts", I start to think about my day. I let my mind wander or I people watch. If a feel like I'm dragging, I'll do some mini challenges. Last run, I tried to push every up hill (even small ones) but let up on the down hills. I ended up cutting 1 min off my 3 mile run (to 32 mins). I also love to do longer runs with a buddy. I like to run by myself, but a partner gives you a different challenge. Encourage someone who isn't running to run with you and moderate your pace to theirs. You may find slowing down a bit will help you go further.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    This is bad, but it works for me: when I hit my mental wall, I end up singing "just keep swimming" in the voice of Dory from Finding Nemo, it eventually turns to "just keep running". I don't even try to do it anymore, it just happens.

LOL, I thought I was the only one who does this! I love Dory's saying!!:laugh:
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who said music. Get music that motivates you. Get a good ipod, then you can do audio books. I also do better when distracted by something and not being bored. at my gym, all the treadmills are hooked up to TV's so I watch shows and the time flies by....before I know it I've been running 30 minutes....but outside is another story.
  • beckylyda
    Options
    I just started running 3 years ago. 2 years ago I did a half marathon. What keep me going was talking to myself. I always have so much going on with work, family and my beautiful boys through out the day that I take this time to concentrate on me. I talk out any frustrations. People around must think I am crazy, but it is like a free therapy session.
    Good Luck! I know it is hard. I have been letting my mind defete me way to offten lately. You sound like a strong women, you will power through.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I do listen to audio books, but I think that is besides the point. Have you thought that you may actually be fatigued? Like not enough hydration or nutrition before you run. Your brain is powerful and what you may be mistaking as some kind of "mental toughness" could actually be you brain telling you that your body needs something. Your brain is what is in charge, not your muscles or your lungs, do you know what I mean? Critically look at what you are doing before your run, eating, sleeping enough, even hydration the night before. As these runs get longer your resources will be stretched further. Of course, 90% of running IS mental, it is a very important aspect. I often find that doubtful witch creeping in when I'm tired and my legs are getting sore. Sometimes just taking a few steps of walking helps me squash her. And remember, running outside is WAY harder than inside, so if you need to take an extra 30 seconds on you walking interval then you should take it. These programs are GUIDELINES, you are not a failure if you don't follow them exactly. I suggest you take the treadmill off the table. Not because I'm against the treadmill, but because I think for some reason it might be messing with your brain a little. What if you didn't have the option? What would you do then? I know you wouldn't just quit, right? If you have to break up your last 10 minute run into two 5 minute parts outside, I think that is a better option. Please remember that running is about time on your feet, not necessarily about speed or pushing yourself to failure.

You are doing AMAZING! Do not let that seed of doubt take root!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    "Everything after the first two miles is mental." I work with a bunch of marathoners and half-marathoners (and one Goofy runner). They've all said the same thing, it's all in your head. Like most of the other people have replied, I talk to myself to keep going. I set mini goals for pace on my runs to stay motivated. And music keeps me a little distracted.

Personally I can't run on a track or do loops around the block. I get bored really fast. So, I street run either a big loop or a long out-and-back. Something to keep the scenery changing. I use a Garmin, but I also plan ahead by mapping out my run (I use the map functionality in the Nike+ website for planning my run, but if you google "run mapper" you'll get a bunch of results). Knowing where the mile gates are ahead of time also helps keep me focused.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options

This. is. amazing. I am totally doing this from now on when i hit a mental block!
  • runnerchick
    Options
    Everybody gave good answers to your question, remember that everybody is different and has their own "mantra" what it takes to get it done. . Like Nike says "Just do it" 1. Giver yrself moore time and credit what u have done already and don't rush it be patient for your lungs and limbs to get with the program. 2. Diet is also crucial. 3. U need to crosstrain on days that u don't run! Last not least, to simulate running outside on the treadmill only 1 percent incline is required!!! Take the incline out for now, that will not improve you speed or endurance, but injury! I use mine only on days when weather is bad or speed work. Run outside and enjoy the outdoor, with music or audio books. Just keep running and moving u will get there!!!
  • itsabeachlife4me
    Options
    Thank you everyone! This is the first time I've allowed myself to get on the treadmill in a while. I try to just focus on running outside because it's so much harder and I don't want to spoil myself to the treadmill like I was before I started running outside. I have two kids and I work 40 hours a week, not to mention, take on about a hundred projects a month. I really want running to be my mental break and my therapy, like someone else said, I just don't know how to stop focusing on the pain and toughness and to let it all go. I would LOVE for running to be like a form of meditation for me. Maybe I do need to change my scenery (and being more than .25 from my house and quitting point) would also help. Now I just do varied loops around my neighborhood. Do you guys drive to a running spot? I'm afraid if I try to drive to a running spot I might come up with excuses not to go. This week I will focus on trying to concentrate on the sound of my footsteps and hope that helps me zero in on something. Sunday we will be camping so that will be a definite change of scenery and I'll have people to run with me which helps a lot. The main thing I'm taking with me from this convo is that it doesn't have to be all or nothing (a concept I'm currently working on) and it's okay if I have to walk for a min during the running portion to get it done! Thanks again!