Ugh lacking motivation

Options
I have gotten lazy about tracking the last couple of days... how do you keep your motivation up?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eyes on the prize...

Yes, this. Think about why you're tracking. If it's just to track, forget it. If it's to eat better, lose weight, save money, save the planet? Your why is your motivation.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from within.
    How badly do you want to succeed?
    Don't dwell over mishaps, just continue on with your goals.
    You can do this, and you are worth it!
  • SandyH2015
    SandyH2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I constantly remind myself that tracking works. I remember what my goal is and how much closer I get every single time I track. It's more about accountability to me. It is a task that I've committed to completing for myself.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    There is a Motivation and Support board below. Check it out.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    This thread is a little "in your face", but powerful:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1

Motivation comes & goes, but good solid habit can often save the day when motivation wanes. So focus on building good habits, which is best done one or two small things at a time until you achieve consistency. Logging can be your first habit- even if you aren't necessarily hitting your calorie goal- doing it day in and day out even when you don't feel like it. :)
  • Dlh6f
    Dlh6f Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on motivation which is a fickle friend. Instead I devise a plan and follow it consistently thus taking the emotion out of it.

Taking the emotion out it... yeah, that works for me most as well. To me, a goal without emotion becomes a habit. Like, just doing it to ignore any intercepting thoughts you know?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I weigh (no pun intended) the advantages to doing the right thing against doing nothing. Like today I knew I had to get on my exercise bike and ride for at least a half an hour. I pushed myself to do 45 minutes. I was dripping sweat but it felt good afterward.

The right thing wins out because nothing + nothing = nothing. I have had plenty of nothing. I want SOMEthing for a change.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I've always liked the maxim that Motivation is just an agent for change. It is a finite resource and is only good for getting you started. Once motivation runs out all you have left is dedication and reality.

Motivation isn't required for me to go to work, and do the housework, and look after my family. They're all unquestioned aspects of my reality. They're things I'm dedicated to. They're stuff I just do.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I've always liked the maxim that Motivation is just an agent for change. It is a finite resource and is only good for getting you started. Once motivation runs out all you have left is dedication and reality.

Motivation isn't required for me to go to work, and do the housework, and look after my family. They're all unquestioned aspects of my reality. They're things I'm dedicated to. They're stuff I just do.

I love that phrase- "unquestioned aspects of my reality". :)