help with logging exercise?

Options
I work out at Planet Fitness and the machines say one thing and MFP says another as far as calorie count goes. What is a more accurate measurement? Which should I log?

Replies

• leobrah
    leobrah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    That's a great question and one that I've had on my mind for an entire week LOL the Reebok treadmill I work out on always states a bigger calorie number than the exercise found on MFP database. Just to be safe I go with the lower number (MFP database) but I might be wrong.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "The machines"?
    "Workout"?

Without telling people what your workout actually is ,and what exercises you are doing on the what particular machines, it's impossible to give specific advice.

Some machines are very accurate, some give fanciful numbers of calories.
    Some of the hundreds of MFP database entries are fine, some might be low for some people, some are clearly exaggerated for most people, some are just a poor choice to use.

@leobrah
    You haven't said if you are walking or running (I'm guessing your workout isn't doing weight training on the treadmill ;)) but personally for both walking or running I would use a formula for weight & distance to validate numbers.
    Net Running calories Spent = (Body weight in pounds) x (0.63) x (Distance in miles)
    Net Walking calories Spent = (Body weight in pounds) x (0.30) x (Distance in miles)

• leobrah
    leobrah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    @sijomial Bud, I do walking on the treadmill because I'm too fat to run. I walk at approximately 5km/h to 6km/h speed which is basically 3mp/h to 3.8mp/h in miles and I walk at least 60 minutes per day. Sometimes up to 2 hours.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    leobrah wrote: »
    @sijomial Bud, I do walking on the treadmill because I'm too fat to run. I walk at approximately 5km/h to 6km/h speed which is basically 3mp/h to 3.8mp/h in miles and I walk at least 60 minutes per day. Sometimes up to 2 hours.

Good effort - simply multiply the distance in miles as recorded by your treadmill by your bodyweight in pounds and the efficiency ratio of 0.3 and you will have your net calories with decent accuracy.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    MFP is pretty accurate for walking and running. I find my treadmill is way off, giving me about double the number of calories that I actually burn. Since I eat back all my exercise calories, I'd rather be a bit low in my count than too high.