Nutritious Porridge Ideas?

Options
I'm looking for some new flavour combinations for my porridge and was wondering if anyone had any ideas! So far I have:

Forest fruits, almond and honey
Banana, walnut and chocolate (well, cacao powder but it's chocolately with extra nutrients)
Apple, nuts and cinnamon
Maple and pecan
'Carrot cake' with carrots, walnuts, and a touch of spices and dash of brown sugar

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I eat my porridges just with butter - have you tried to make porridge with different grains? I like millet, semolina (cream of wheat), polenta (corn/maize), barley meal, and rice.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I make overnight zoats. So, zucchini grated in. With natural yoghurt, protein powder and PB. Then I add berries and nuts.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and chocolate drops for me!
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I'm loving adding ground ginger to my porridge at the moment. I'll have it with a little golden syrup for sweetness, and sometimes add cinnamon too.

Also do you add salt to your porridge? Just a pinch, but it really adds to the flavour profile.
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I add a big pinch of MSG powder to my steel-cut oats every morning. And cinnamon and raisins and sucralose and salt. But the MSG has me addicted to my healthy bowl of porridge at home -- restaurants can't compete.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats, blueberries, cinnamon, unsweetened coconut, and toasted walnuts.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    What are forest fruits?
  • dsboohead
    Options
    Always wondered if porridge is another name for oatmeal.....porridge sounds rather English.
  • dsboohead
    Options
    .....or maybe british.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I put a scoop of protein powder in mine. Flavors it and gives me some protein along with the carbs, which makes it more satiating for me.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Always wondered if porridge is another name for oatmeal.....porridge sounds rather English.

Yep
    dsboohead wrote: »
    .....or maybe british.

And yep
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

I would love to add peanut butter to things like porridge (I've just bought a really nice peanut butter with cocoa and coconut) but how do you get it to mix? It's so sticky!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I would love to add peanut butter to things like porridge (I've just bought a really nice peanut butter with cocoa and coconut) but how do you get it to mix? It's so sticky!

Put it in and stir it through
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I just put 2-3 blobs in the porridge, scatter the chocolate drops and mix it up a bit... its like a marble effect that way, some bites are more peanut buttery some are chocolatey!
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Cardamon
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I’ve been making pumpkin and blueberry oatmeal with walnuts on top. 😋 Judge me how you will, I love me some pumpkin! 🎃
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I add a laughing cow lite swiss wedge and minced onion to the water while it's cooking. Season with McCormick Perfect Pinch Salad Supreme seasoning. YUM. This and a hard boiled egg is my current breakfast.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    My favourite is having it with banana/peanut butter and Nutella :smiley:
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I have honey and Sultanas. Porridge is Scottish