Moving out, ideas please!

jjjhearts
jjjhearts Posts: 14 Member
edited September 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I'm moving out for school in a few days, and my new place only has a microwave, rice cooker, fridge and kettle. No kitchen equipment available, except for my own utensils.
I have a few ideas on what type of meals to prepare, i.e. sandwiches, wraps, overnight oats etc. Since I live close to home I plan to go back every weekend; that's the only way I'll be able to access the kitchen.
For now, I'm considering to stock up on fruits and veggies that can be eaten raw; though for my proteins I'll have to think a little harder... (I'm vegetarian).
Any other recipes/meal prep ideas would be greatly appreciated by a college student who wants to save money and eat out less :smiley:

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    For protein: can you cook a batch of beans at home on the weekends? Or you could have canned beans, if your budget isn't too tight, which would allow for more variety during the week, especially if you don't have the freezer space at school to freeze smaller portions of a variety of different beans. Whether canned or cooked from dried, they can be eaten cold in salads, or with rice, in tortillas, or smashed into hummus/bean dip.

Can you hard-boil a batch of eggs at home on the weekends?

Then there are microwaveable frozen foods with plant-based meat substitutes, if your fridge has enough freezer space to make that work.

Unfortunately, to me, the best tasting tofu/tempeh/seitan meals from scratch generally require a stove-top.

Sometimes I see cooked and shelled edamame in the produce section of the grocery store. They're on the pricey side, but very tasty (toss a little soy sauce and rice vinegar on if you want to boost the flavor) and convenient, and a good source of plant-based protein.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    I have heard that some can be used like a slow cooker, used to stream veggies, or used to hard boil eggs. I've also seen things like frittatas and puffy pancakes done. I'm not totally sure how it works because I don't have a rice cooker but it's worth checking out. There are tons of recipes online.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I haven't needed a stove or an oven in years. 2 more pieces of equipment to buy - toaster oven and a George foreman grill. They aren't necessary, but they'll help a lot!

Things you can cook in the microwave

baked potato (6 minutes)
    pasta- single serving in a small bowl, fill with water to cover noodle, microwave for 3 minutes
    eggs - scrambled 3 minutes, hard boiled in a dish with water to cover the eggs 6 minutes
    frozen veggie burger- 2 minutes
    instant rice - according to the box
    instant quinoa- according to the box
    beans- warm up for 1 minute
    frozen veggies - 2 minutes
    tofu/seitan/tempeh - chop, season and warm for 1 minute

Uses for the toaster oven and George Foreman
    make potato chips out of a thinly sliced potato and oil spray
    bake or grill tofu/seitan/tempeh
    bake or grill your veggies for different flavor

Easy combinations

baked potato with 2 scrambled eggs, raw spinach, salsa and cheese
    grilled tofu with taco seasoning, fajita grilled veggies put into tortillas
    teriyaki baked tempeh with instant rice and frozen peas/carrots mix
    cooked veggie burger on a bun with baked sweet potato fries
    tofu baked in marinara sauce, over microwaved tortellini/ravioli
    raw carrot and celery steamed in the microwave, mix into veggie broth with beans and instant rice (soup!)
    instant rice with curry sauce, peas and chickpeas and mozzarella cheese
    scrambled eggs with cooked broccoli, cheddar cheese and veggie bacon

Just remember, you can pretty much cook anything in the microwave.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 356 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I haven't needed a stove or an oven in years. 2 more pieces of equipment to buy - toaster oven and a George foreman grill. They aren't necessary, but they'll help a lot!

Things you can cook in the microwave

baked potato (6 minutes)
    pasta- single serving in a small bowl, fill with water to cover noodle, microwave for 3 minutes
    eggs - scrambled 3 minutes, hard boiled in a dish with water to cover the eggs 6 minutes

Just remember, you can pretty much cook anything in the microwave.

Let me caution the OP about cooking hard boiled eggs in the microwave - they can explode and damage the microwave. This was learned from personal experience :)

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Canned beans, refrigerated “meats” like Tofurky slices, eggs, and yogurt can all be kept on the shelf or in the fridge and eaten cold or cooked in the microwave. Sometimes you can even find canned flavored seitan, usually at Asian markets (Companion brand is one) or at health food stores under the Loma Linda or Worthington brand in the US.

Tofu and tempeh are stored in the fridge but would be trickier to cook in the microwave.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    A hot plate or grill might help.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    What do you usually eat? Any plans to get other equipment?

Hummus
    Cottage cheese vegetable salad, bean salad, pasta salad
    Beans and rice
    Bean and cheese burrito
    Cereal
    Bagel
    Nachos
    Baked potato

Maybe get frozen or canned vegetables as well.

• PHOTOCHAP
    PHOTOCHAP Posts: 104 Member
    Lentils! My fave new friend. Must admit I usually cook them in a pan on the gas hob but I see on Google they can be done in a microwave. There's a good protein kick for you ;)
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    A small halogen oven like a Flavorwave might be handy. I don't have a cooker and I use my halogen oven for making toast, grilling and roasting meat and vegetables, defrosting, cooking ready meals, and you can remove the cooking rack and use the bowl to make stews and chilli.

Learn to use your microwave on it's different settings. The defrost setting can slowly cook and gently reheat, so experiment with the settings and don't automatically use the highest to blast everything. You can use it to bake cakes, cook oatmeal, noodles, boil/steam rice and vegetables, make scrambled eggs, it even cooks meringues in minutes.

Your rice cooker is basically an enclosed hotplate with a built in pan. Even with two basic settings of 'hot' and 'warm' I can boil, steam, braise, sauté, stew and make soup. It's pretty easy to figure out, so don't be afraid to try out some recipes. Like every appliance, you learn quite quickly how to use them. You'll be cooking like a pro in no time.
  • jjjhearts
    jjjhearts Posts: 14 Member
    Really helpful suggestions, thanks so much!
  • tmperry99
    tmperry99 Posts: 6 Member
    My favorite thing when I was in college in that situation was to steam some fresh broccoli in microwave (microwave safe container, a little water, cover and cook for about 2 minutes) drained well, on a wheat lavish with Munster cheese on it then melted the cheese slightly. I would but the pre cut broccoli bags for this as I had ZERO space because I rented this little hole-in the wall room.

I agree with others to batch cook some protein sources (beans etc) over the weekend.