Gained 2 pound?

Options
Ok.. I'm bummed.

I started out at 150 pounds. I'm 55.
I've been alternating days of 30 minutes of vigorous rebounding with days of 45 minutes of yoga and weights. I've been eating about 1200 calories, except yesterday, when I ate around 1400.

Today, a week after starting, I weighed my self and I have GAINED 2 pounds?!!!

I'm gonna cry!

What the heck?

So should I eat less?

Replies

• RowanC
    RowanC Posts: 38
    Options
    Ok.. I'm bummed.

I started out at 150 pounds. I'm 55.
    I've been alternating days of 30 minutes of vigorous rebounding with days of 45 minutes of yoga and weights. I've been eating about 1200 calories, except yesterday, when I ate around 1400.

Today, a week after starting, I weighed my self and I have GAINED 2 pounds?!!!

I'm gonna cry!

What the heck?

So should I eat less?
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    NO!!! You should NOT eat less. :happy: If you look around at some of the messages posted, you will find out a lot about this issue - you probably are not eating enough. There's been a lot posted on this subject just in the last few days - happy hunting!!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    that sounds really like light calories for someone working out every day. I mean REALLY light. What is your BMR?
  • Christy421
    Options
    DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED!!! i definitely do not eat less. are you eating back the calories you work off as you are suppossed to, to be sure you do not dip below 1200? that's very important so that your body does not slip into "starvation mode."

also, some of the weight gain could very well be water weight. weight fluctuates so much and since it's early in your weight loss regimine it's not rare to gain first. every winter i start a weight loss regimine for summer, and i always start off gaining a couple pounds before they start dropping off. muscle weighs more than fat, remember that!

stick to your guns...keep eating 1200, no more NO LESS. be positive...you are doing everything right...you'll see it start to melt off just give it a couple weeks :smile:
  • banks1850
    Options
    OK again, really frustrated with this 1200 thing. seriously. Why 1200? 150 lbs and 55 years old if you want to loose a lb a week you should be eating around 1350 cals or so. I assumed 5 foot 3 and somewhat active since I don't know your numbers, you can adjust it up or down a little if you are shorter (say 25 cals an inch). Really if you just use the tool on this site you should get a pretty good readout of what you should be eating. 1200 calories is an arbitrary number, again, based on a average number floated by somebody years ago that just caught on.

see my other post (my rant) on 1200 calories here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6159-this-1200-calorie-thing-is-driving-me-up-a-wall
  • RowanC
    Options
    Pardon me Banks, but I got the 1200 number FROM THIS WEBSITE after putting in all my information?
    Do you think I'm doing something wrong?
    If so, please tell me?
    Here are the numbers:
    Your Suggested Nutrition and Fitness Goals
    Based on your answers, here are your suggested nutrition and fitness goals:

Nutritional Goals Target
    Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,200 calories/day
    Carbs / Day 165 g
    Fat / Day 40 g
    Protein / Day 45 g
    *Net calories consumed = total calories consumed - exercise calories burned. So the more you exercise, the more you can eat!

Fitness Goals Target
    Calories Burned / Week 660 calories/week
    Workouts / Week 4 workouts
    Minutes / Workout 30 minutes

So maybe instead of ranting at US, you should be ranting at this website?
  • banks1850
    Options
    But don't you see, that's before workout calories. you need to add the workout calories to your totals. maybe it's a little confusing because of the way they display it. But it's saying you should be eating 1300 a day if you work out for 660 calories/week.

Course the other thing I would say is 2 lbs might just be from water weight. you can fluctuate 5 lbs either way because of water. I know I'm up and down 3 lbs a day. Best way is to weigh yourself multiple times through the day and take the average of them, or better yet, multiple times over a 3 day period and average all of them.

P.S. I'm sorry if you thought I was being rude, I didn't mean to. It's just that when you have been reading that 1200 calorie thing for so long (it's been floated by many, many sites out there too) it gets under your skin.
  • RowanC
    Options
    It could be water weight, but probably not. It could also be muscle. After menopause I lost a LOT of body tone in a very short time.

As I just told someone else, this is just such a difficult thing for me to wrap my head around. For all these years, I've eaten LESS and gained weight, thinking it was 'just menopause.' Now you guys are telling me to eat MORE, and it is hard to do unless I eat junk food, because my stomach doesn't want to hold it.

Breakfast, for example, is really hard for me.
    I'm used to having a cup of coffee, then eating my first meal around 11 am.
    I get up around 6 am.. so that's 5 hours later.
    Now I"m trying to eat cereal or fruit early and my stomach almost turns because I'm not hungry.

I have a question. Are the male or the female in the photo?
    And if you are the male, does your partner use this program?

I'm trying it... so we'll see.
    And your personality cracks me up.
    I think you might be my long-lost twin.
    I get crazed when people don't listen too.
    No problem.
  • paulam
    paulam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    YOu are definately not eating enough for the amount of exercise you are doing.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It could be water weight, but probably not. It could also be muscle. After menopause I lost a LOT of body tone in a very short time.

As I just told someone else, this is just such a difficult thing for me to wrap my head around. For all these years, I've eaten LESS and gained weight, thinking it was 'just menopause.' Now you guys are telling me to eat MORE, and it is hard to do unless I eat junk food, because my stomach doesn't want to hold it.

Breakfast, for example, is really hard for me.
    I'm used to having a cup of coffee, then eating my first meal around 11 am.
    I get up around 6 am.. so that's 5 hours later.
    Now I"m trying to eat cereal or fruit early and my stomach almost turns because I'm not hungry.

I have a question. Are the male or the female in the photo?
    And if you are the male, does your partner use this program?

I'm trying it... so we'll see.
    And your personality cracks me up.
    I think you might be my long-lost twin.
    I get crazed when people don't listen too.
    No problem.

Hey don't worry, I ate 2000 calories yesterday and lost 1.5 lbs hehe :laugh: It is calories in vs. calories out to a certain point, but our bodies don't run on math. If they did, we could jut eat 0 and lose fat!
    I also got 1200 from MFP, but that's with a built-in 500 calorie deficit. In reality, I burn 1640 cals a day just walking and going to class. Then I burn about 800 more from exercise according to my Polar HR watch, so my total output is around 2300-2500. I also had my RMR tested in a lab, and found that I burn 1265 cals doing *nothing*, that's just what I burn to stay alive. so the 1200 MFP recommends is actually even lower than that. Eating less isn't always better. :)
  • alaskagal
    Options
    Okay, I'm in a similar boat. Just got off the scale for my weekly weigh in and YES, I gained TWO POUNDS!

I, too, have been good with my eating and exercising....deep sigh.....

Back to the drawing board...only I'm not really sure what to change as I've been eating my workout calories, blah, blah, blah...

Thank goodness I don't have any Girl Scout cookies in the house like I was reading about on another thread or I'd definitely be doing emotional eating :grumble: