Dealing with grief and losing weight

Options
What's helped you get back/stay on track after the loss of a loved one?

I don't know how to find that motivation when the person I lost was my motivation and support. She was my everything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• leankamal
    leankamal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    She might not be around you but she is looking you from above thinking that you’ll make best of your life.
  • Finkelstien
    Finkelstien Posts: 55 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    i started running to quiet my mind for a second.
    After i lost my father last year that was all that occupied my mind. By running i had an hour a day where i needed to focus on my feet moving forward, my breath and the C25K app.

It still occupies my mind but now i have days where i notice i have not thought about it for an hour, had fun and i can look back on a lot of and smile when i think about it.
  • ecrosby512
    ecrosby512 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The Grief Recovery Handbook, the Action Program for Moving beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Losses, by John James and Russell Friedman.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss, things will get better in time.

Don't lose weight for someone else, lose it for yourself. Think of your body as God's gift, not taking good care of it seems rude doesn't it?
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    What types of motivating things did your loved one say to you? Think those things. Say them out loud. It'll help keep that person close to you and help you continue on with your progress. I found that getting some daily exercise was a big help. Sure, there were times when I was in a Zumba class and started to cry, but I gave myself permission to step aside to the back of the class and wipe my sweaty tear-stained face with a towel and either jump back in OR leave the class and try again next time. It's OK to let that grief wash over and through you. I took walks by myself, and sometimes had someone who also loved that person join me because we understood what each other was going through. I'm so sorry for your loss. Be gentle with yourself. Lose yourself in exercise if you can. It'll help you think of other things, and you'll be glad you continued your healthy habits.
  • Klmom123
    Klmom123 Posts: 91 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I sympathize with you. I lost my only sister (and best friend) 2 1/2 years ago and then my father a year later. So it was a struggle to keep up what life was throwing at me . I hadn’t caught my breath from one major loss and was hit with another . I think my first post was similar to yours. Walking helped me work through some of my grief . Being outside alone , fresh air helped. It was a start. And it got me moving in the right direction. Self care .
    Big hugs to you. I know it’s not an easy path through grief . It gets better but it never gets back to normal . It’s a new normal .
  • emajarrett
    emajarrett Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello. I lost my mother to pancreatic cancer in April after only 8 weeks of the diagnosis and it was the hardest 8 weeks of my life. Four days after she died I was told I was up for redundancy after a 20yr career in the same firm.... loyalty means zip these days. I have held onto my job and in a way the total double whammy put me into a state of protective shock. However now some months on and my anxiety can go through the roof and I get hyper alert which is exhausting. So exercise is my life saver. During mums illness I was stuffing in the most terrible food.... service station pork pies, chocolate trifles....as I was travelling miles, I ate anything and everything. Strangely now I feel the need to look after my body as we only get one chance and I don't want to invite cancer in. I have burst into tears several times on the tennis court....and I have had to excuse myself. The tears come at thme oddest times don't they?. I feel alone with my grief so it is a strange comfort to know some of you understand.