Running shoes

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good pair of running shoes? Currently use Brooks Launch 4s, which worked great until my miles got too high. Tried Hokas, but the arch support was not comfortable. Wondering if anyone has tried Brooks Launch 4s, liked them, but maybe found something even better? So many choices out there.

Replies

• GabrielleCP
    GabrielleCP Posts: 11 Member
    Agreed. Was going to try Happy Feet so I could be measured. Was just curious what others used. Figured it would help narrow down the search at least a little bit, if nothing else.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Agreed. Was going to try Happy Feet so I could be measured. Was just curious what others used. Figured it would help narrow down the search at least a little bit, if nothing else.

i wear new balance... doesn't mean they are any good for your feet though.

get fit, the store should give you a few options.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Don't buy shoes just because someone else on the internet recommended them. Everyone's shoe needs are different, and the perfect shoe for someone else may be so bad for you that it leads to injury. I would tell you which shoes work best for my very wide feet, which isn't going to help you unless your feet and gait are just like mine.
  • CarsonSurfs
    CarsonSurfs Posts: 75 Member
    There are three different types of running shoes, neutral, stability and motion control. How you run (the way your body is built) will determine which one of these types of shoes is right for you. Within each of those categories, you will find varying levels of cushioning. Your weight will be a determining factor in which level of cushioning is right for you, as well as what just feels good.

Bottom line is just what other posters have said. Go to a legit running store and get fitted. Don't discount any running shoe because you have not heard of it or no one has recommended it. The first time I got fitted, a Mizuno felt right to me, even though I had never considered them as a shoe that I would buy. Now, 20K+ miles and dozens of pairs later, it's my go-to brand of running shoe.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I ended up with Saucony after my running store trip. The sales person went outside and watched me run with 3 or 4 different choices and factored in what he saw with how I felt to make his recommendation.
  • amsuraj
    amsuraj Posts: 43 Member
    Does anyone have any suggestions on a good pair of running shoes? Currently use Brooks Launch 4s, which worked great until my miles got too high. Tried Hokas, but the arch support was not comfortable. Wondering if anyone has tried Brooks Launch 4s, liked them, but maybe found something even better? So many choices out there.

Right 🏃🏽‍♀️ 👟 is the most important equipment for running and needs to be fitted personally for you. Any reputable running store will have knowledgeable people to help you find the right shoe for you. Keep track of those miles on the shoes. I generally run for about 300 miles before I get a new pair.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    You mentioned you were increasing your mileage, I know this is the expensive option but I rotate pairs and buy two pairs at a time I have each pair longer so the cost evens out after the beginning and it lets you have time for them to dry or recover after you run. I am at about 30 miles a week and during the summer especially they are damp when I get home and so the other pair the next day. I run in two different models of Asics, they are a little different and so the support and the cushioning changes just a little each day. don't forget to ask about socks they can be your important to your feet
  • GabrielleCP
    @Ke22yB That’s a very interesting and probably very smart idea. Might have to try it. What type of socks would you suggest? Or is that a personal thing too?
  • GabrielleCP
    @amsuraj I agree. I am at almost 800 miles as we speak, so defn way overdue. Just reserved a book from the library that will hopefully shed some light on the ins and outs of running. Aside from deciding one day to start running a 5k and doing it every Monday- Friday since, I don’t have much experience here, so I very much appreciate the feedback!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited September 2018
    @amsuraj I agree. I am at almost 800 miles as we speak, so defn way overdue. Just reserved a book from the library that will hopefully shed some light on the ins and outs of running. Aside from deciding one day to start running a 5k and doing it every Monday- Friday since, I don’t have much experience here, so I very much appreciate the feedback!

If you've got 800 miles on your running shoes they definitely need replacing.

What ins and outs do you want to know about?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    amsuraj wrote: »

Right 🏃🏽‍♀️ 👟 is the most important equipment for running and needs to be fitted personally for you. Any reputable running store will have knowledgeable people to help you find the right shoe for you. Keep track of those miles on the shoes. I generally run for about 300 miles before I get a new pair.

What are you doing to them that does that to them?

I'd expect 500mi out of a pair of road shoes, and 700-800 out of trail shoes.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited September 2018
    Here are a few suggestions of shoes I like...

for road...
    Nike Zoom Pegasus 35
    Brooks Levitate
    Adidas Ultraboost
    Altra Escalante

for trail...
    Altra Lone Peak (also not bad on roads)