Cascade Pass (pics)

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
edited September 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
This is my favorite trail, the only one I do every year. I took a buddy from work up Saturday. We saw a mountain goat on the Sahale Arm and a large black bear near the trail to Pelton Basin. In all, we did about 10 miles with 2,000 feet of vert.

29513963557_93f03230e2_o_d.jpg

42642955450_b5bbf89670_o_d.jpg

There's a calendar contest I enter every year, I think this is going to be one of my entries:

42642957250_591ef6b143_o_d.jpg

29513959777_de4e4a38e6_o_d.jpg

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    oooh. Beautiful.

I think I like the last pic the best, with the rocky trail. The composition on that one and the first one are really nicely balanced.

Thanks! :)
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Wow, stunning! You are lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world! Thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures :smiley:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Hooray, you have been on a ride.
    I hope you are feeling less anxious now you are getting out.

The scenery is beautiful.

The 2nd pic is my favourite, nice balance and colour contrast.

Cheers, h.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    You are lucky to live near such a beautiful place. I live in Kansas City and it’s just dirty and gross.
  • InfiniteInnerBeauty9190
    Options
    So beautiful!
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Although there are no trails, there is a mountaineering route from Cascade pass to nearby Trapper Lake. It’s absolutely beautiful. ‘Cept maybe for the marmot that chased me away from his den, the grizzly bear that went through our neighboring campers’ campsite, and the after dark repelling we wound up doing the first trip before we got the route right. Oops.

There were no dull moments on Cascade Pass for us. There was a climber killed on the ptarmigan traverse right as we passed over cascade pass. Rockfall. There was even a surgeon in the climbing party...to no avail. I guess they airlifted the surgeon over to treat a climber who had fallen into the bergshrund at the top of Sahale Arm and broke his leg (wedged with water draining on him).

I still remember the thunderous sound of semi-truck pieces of ice breaking off the hanging glaciers and crashing into the valley below.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous!