What Exercise Can I Do While Taking Propranolol For Anxiety?

Options
I'm on Propranolol 80mg slow release for severe anxiety, and I won't be able to come off it until my anxiety is under control so I'll be on them for a while. I'm also Hypothyroid, but am on Eltroxin 50mcg for that.

What I want to know, is what type of exercise is okay to do while on this medication? It's not for heart reasons, solely anxiety. I really want to start trying to do a little exercise now, at home if possible but not sure what is okay to do or what might be too much?

Any suggestions or experience on this would be great!

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Walking may help. Even if it's just pacing the length of your house/room, at least it's something!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    I took propranolol 80 for years to mitigate migraines. I didn't have exercise limitations.

Did your doctor tell you not to exercise? I never got that warning, always did my regular routines. It kept my heartrate artificially lower, but it didn't hurt me to exercise. Why do you think it would? Just don't try to work your heartrate up to pre-medicated levels - that would be hard to do.

There's lots of stuff online about this, have you tried Google?

http://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/consumer-healthcare/medication-information/how-do-beta-blocker-drugs-affect-exercise
  • ccjlgrider
    ccjlgrider Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I’m on beta blockers for migraines and do whatever I want for exercise.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    +1 for asking your doctor
  • gstaubs1
    gstaubs1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety not currently on medication for it. I am using fitness/meditation as natural means to deal with and don't see why you couldn't do any exercise you wanted but agree with consult your doctor. Best of luck!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    I took propranolol 80 for years to mitigate migraines. I didn't have exercise limitations.

Did your doctor tell you not to exercise? I never got that warning, always did my regular routines. It kept my heartrate artificially lower, but it didn't hurt me to exercise. Why do you think it would? Just don't try to work your heartrate up to pre-medicated levels - that would be hard to do.

http://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/consumer-healthcare/medication-information/how-do-beta-blocker-drugs-affect-exercise

Oh dear, how old are you? :o
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

I'm sat sniggering as I had to re-read too.

Cheers, h.

Sorry @cmriverside, I am well aware you are not an octogenarian, but hoping you eventually become one. <3
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Always ask your Dr. But I would think walking at a moderate pace would be one thing you can do. But there are also a bunch of low impact workouts on You Tube (Look for walking for seniors). I know you aren't a senior, but that will get you to some exercise that should be fine. I hope your anxiety responds to the medicine and you are able to get it under control soon.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Propranolol is a mixed beta-1 & beta-2 antagonist & quite lipophilic (more impact on the CNS penetration - ideal for anxiety). The detriment is in the beta-2 effect in having bronchoconstricting qualities (bad if you've also got asthma, COPD, etc.) & lowering of tolerance to the effects of exercise (more difficult achieving a higher heart rate & contractility/inotropism, also in part from beta-1 effects on primarily the heart).

Usually not a problem in exercising - unless you have angina, stroke, cardiovascular history, prolonged inactivity/bedrest, etc. (consult MD, especially if starting out exercising).
    I personally use a beta-1 selective antagonist (other condition not anxiety or cardiovascular related); do notice a minor dip in performance but this does not stop me from enjoying exercise. The effects of beta blockers diminish with age (younger are more responsive to the effects)

Might want to let MD/endo know about implementing exercise; dose might need to be adjusted in due time (~6Weeks). Your drugs do at least complement each other (buffer) as far as controlling for Hyperthyroidism symptoms

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I was on propanolol for migraines for a while.

All exercise (cardio and strength training) was fine until I got to very high levels of cardio intensity - normally during a particularly hard rally when playing competitive squash. My HR would hit a ceiling that it wouldn't go above and that wasn't a pleasant feeling although not dangerous. It just capped my performance.

More controlled cardio (such as cycling, elliptical, rowing...) wasn't an issue.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Are you still having issues with lethargy? Have you seen your doctor since I asked you this on your other thread?
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've been taking beta blockers for about a year and this has had no effect on my weight loss at all.

It does makes me sleepy, and so I take it at bedtime. I have no adverse effects from it during the day. What time do you take yours?

I'm taking half of a 25 mg Metoprolol. I tried to compare the two but seems like using beta blockers for anxiety is an "off label" (not approved by the FDA) use, so there wasn't anything useful.

If your doctor insists that you take it during the day, how about discussing your lethargy with him/her - perhaps you need a lower dose. My brother is on a lot of medication and they are always tinkering with his doses to get him dialed in as optimally as possible.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

I'm sat sniggering as I had to re-read too.

Cheers, h.

Sorry @cmriverside, I am well aware you are not an octogenarian, but hoping you eventually become one. <3

:lol:

Yeah, I didn't like the sentence structure either, but as well as not being an octogenarian YET I'm not much of a writer on forums. Just git 'er done. The OP mentioned Propranolol 80(mg TR.) I took it for maybe seven years in my forties/early fifties.

I didn't like the way it made me feel like a slug - I didn't want to do much of anything to be honest - but it was far better than disabling migraines. For the record these were the years I was over-weight, and for the first time in my life.
  • Meeva87
    Meeva87 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, I had seen my doctor a few weeks ago about coming off them, but she said I could come off them just like that, or cut down to every 2nd day and slowly come off them. So I might do the slow off them rather than just stopping all at once. I've been on them now about 4 months, not a long time but definitely in my system. They have helped immensely with the anxiety, but I've put on about 5lbs since starting them and my mood is really low all the time, no energy for exercise either. So, maybe skip one day, take it the next and try use less of them and start getting more exercise into my routine, I wouldn't be into gyms or really hardcore exercise, I prefer walking, yoga, pilates, maybe some fun exercises and just general stuff like that.

I'm not looking to be sculpted and perfected, just looking to get to a healthy weight range, no matter how long it takes me, I'm in no rush, have no goal date, just want to be healthy and happy again. And getting my weight under control as I am now 30, I want the rest of my 30's to be of a healthy weight and regain my happiness.

Thanks everyone!!