Has anyone tried hypnosis for weight loss?

Options
There is a Mark Patrick seminar coming soon to my town and I have heard good things about hypnosis helping with weight loss and I am thinking of signing up but just wondered if anyone had tried it and had any success??

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    If hypnotherapy is going to work its going need to more than one session. Ongoing sessons or personalised recordings are needed for reinforcement. There is also a lot of 'homework' you'd need to do for reinforcement.

• GreatNeckVBMom
    GreatNeckVBMom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I tried it and it did not one thing for me.
  • Eiliryn
    Eiliryn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I tried it and it "worked", but only in the short term. It made me feel very aware of my fitness and not hungry, but the next day I was back to normal. It sort of wears off. As tiptoe says above, it needs to be ongoing and you need to do the homework. It does help, but it is like trying to meditate everyday. You have to put in a lot of effort. I was hoping it would make weight loss passive, like something that was just happening (like how it felt to get fat). Nope.
    I was trying to do it online, though. Working with a live clinician would probably yield better results, but it's expensive.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Have you tried eating less?

Are you trying to take the p!ss or what?
    I wish, but no. Many people have the notion Eiliryn describes here:
    I was hoping it would make weight loss passive, like something that was just happening (like how it felt to get fat). Nope.

But I'm wondering if you are, asking me, and not the person suggesting
    chakra balancing
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    MoonlitEve wrote: »
    I have tried it through YouTube videos but it has had no effect on me. Have you considered chakra balancing?

Could you please explain this further as this is not something I've heard of before?
    Does this mean create a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight?
  • mam1958
    mam1958 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes I have it was this or weightloss surgery. Not I do not want to go under the knife. I have a wonderful hypnotist. I went for 3 sessions then it is free every month after that to reboot. It has worked wonderfully. 57 pds lost so far. That is with no exercise (my fault not hers). It is so refreshing to go into a store that has fresh baked goodys and not be bothered or tempted to buy them. I used it as a tool to get me started. I had high sugar needed to start meds. Fatty liver. High BMI.
    Weighted over 320 pds. I am 59 it is slow. I would do it all over to get me over again to get over that first hump again. But then I was very fortunate to find the right hypnotist. As she likes to say I am melting away.....
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I live in a world of math and science where proving things with facts matter. My wife lives in the metaphysical world where belief overrides all. We have been together for 10 years and hopefully will be for a lot longer. We disagree on things like hypnosis, power of prayer, balancing chakras, etc.

What we do agree on is the placebo effect. Therefore, at the very worst, this hypnosis is a placebo for you and could work. Most likely is that it causes a "self fulfilling prophecy" where you make the changes needed, but attribute it to the hypnosis. At best it actually does work.

Either way, if it is something you are interested in, give it a whirl.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Tried it, but was no help. More annoying than anything. Of course I also did one of those hypnosis shows once too, and it totally didn't work on me. But the hypnotist loved me, because I took direction well and was willing to put on a good show. ;)
  • laurawd91
    laurawd91 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hi there! I have recently started a 6 week hypnosis for weight loss course and 1 week in I can tell you a couple of things:
    1. I feel like it is working. I have cut out snacks almost instantly.
    2. You have to listen to audio recordings twice a day, no idea if these work (apparently it takes 28 days to form a habit so thats how long i have to listen)
    3. It isn't automatic. You still have to work at it.
    4. Some days this week I have found it easy to eat less. Others I have still been hungry, and even though I can recognise what emotion is making me hungry I still struggle to overcome it.
    5. You think a LOT more about WHAT you are putting in your body as you know you are eating less, so you know you need to put the right stuff in.

Basically, if you can afford it and truly want it to work/work at it, then do it. If you like to read books or imagine things in your head - then you are the perfect person for hypnosis. All the best and I hope it works for me and for you!
  • Silhouette199
    Silhouette199 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I went to one of his seminars, it didn't do a thing for me.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Never heard of Mark Patrick, and as far as I can see from his site he's a "hypnotist to the stars" with no formal certification. He seems to be most interested in selling his materials online. Hypnosis works to a greater or lesser degree for about 90% of people, but the other 10% can't experience hypnotic induction. In a clinical setting, hypnosis is used in a clinical setting as an adjunct to therapy, not as a replacement for it; it can help get the critical mind out of the way so suggestions can work in the subconscious without "what if" thinking getting in the way. There's absolutely nothing mystical about it - and as others have pointed out, you still have to do the work.

Be cautious with anyone who like Mark Patrick doesn't prominently display where he got his professional training, or "hypnotists" who do hypnosis "carney shows". Here's where you can find certified hypnotherapists in the U.S.:

http://www.asch.net/Public/CertificationInformation/FindCertifiedProfessionals.aspx

Presumably there are professional organizations like ASCH in other countries, too, but I'm not familiar with the resources that are available outside the U.S.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I would be wary of going to a seminar for hypnosis. It's not hypnotherapy, which is a private, one on one course of sessions with an actual therapist who has a clinical background, not just a razzle-dazzle roll call of celebrities. I would take the advice of @vingogly and find a licensed hypnotherapist instead of putting your eggs in some self styled guru's basket.
  • agrube1968
    agrube1968 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I went to the hypnosis seminar a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I got some cds and listen to them nightly before bed and they relax me and I feel more positive and better about myself since going.